The Salt Lake City Main Library's Technology Center offers a variety of free training workshops. Registration is required for most classes and begins one week prior to each class; call 524-8290 for more information. If you wish to save your classwork, bring a USB flash drive, 3.5-inch floppy or zip disk.
The following classes and dates they will be held are:
• "Introduction to Microsoft Excel," Friday, Feb. 1, from 10 a.m. to noon; Wednesday, Feb. 13, from 2-4 p.m. Learn basic spreadsheet skills by creating a simple budget with Microsoft Excel. This course requires keyboarding and mouse skills and familiarity with the Windows environment.
• "Reference USA/International," Monday, Feb. 4, from 2-3:30 p.m. Learn how to use this powerful tool to narrow marketing information by country, ZIP code, product sales and more.
• "Introduction to Microsoft Access," Monday, Feb. 4, from 5-7 p.m. Learn to identify and operate features unique to Microsoft Access including tables, queries, forms and reports. Create a sample Access database containing at least four entries.
• "Internet Basics," Tuesday, Feb. 5, from 7-8 p.m. Learn how to navigate the World Wide Web. No registration required.
• "Protecting Your Computer From Spam," Wednesday, Feb. 6, from 2-3 p.m. An overview of common online threats and how to avoid them. This class is provided by X-Mission.
• "Investment Sources on the Internet," Wednesday, Feb. 6, from 7-8:30 p.m. A brief survey of free, public investment sources, such as Quicken, Schwab and Morningstar.
• "Introduction to E-mail," Thursday, Feb. 7, from 10 a.m. to noon. Set up an e-mail account and learn to send messages using proper e-mail etiquette.
• "Job Search on the Web," Friday, Feb. 8, from 10 a.m. to noon. Cruise the best sites for your job search.
• "Introduction to PowerPoint," a two-part course Monday and Tuesday, Feb. 11-12, from 2-4 p.m. Learn how to create a basic presentation in Microsoft PowerPoint and turn the presentation into an automated slide show.
• "Introduction to Microsoft Word," Thursday, Feb. 14, from 2-4 p.m. Learn basic word processing skills at this workshop for beginners.
• "Basic Mouse Skills," Friday, Feb. 15, from 2-3 p.m. A first step in learning about computers, this workshop teaches how to hold, move and click a mouse; how to scroll and highlight; and other basic mouse functions.
• "Create a Flier Using Microsoft Publisher," Thursday, Feb. 21, from 5-7 p.m. Learn to create a greeting card using the Microsoft Publisher Greeting Cards Wizard.
• "Using Google, Tips and Tricks," Friday, Feb. 22, from 10 a.m. to noon. Learn how Google thinks, how to manipulate the search engine, and about Google shortcuts and services.
• "Good Business Web Sites," Monday, Feb. 25, from 7-8:30 p.m. Learn about the best free Web sites for your business, from advertising to small business loans.
• "Introduction to Windows Environment," Wednesday, Feb. 27, from 10 a.m. to noon. This class is for beginners with little or no prior knowledge of computers. Very basic introduction to computers and the Windows operating system.