A few things I learned about college basketball over the weekend, while perusing the Internet ...
• Gardner-Webb, that team that made a splash by upsetting Kentucky at Rupp Arena earlier this season, stands just 8-10 on the season.
• The Atlantic Sun Conference, of which Gardner-Webb is a member, has 12 schools but has just one winning team Belmont at 10-7.
• That's not as bad as the Southwestern Athletic Conference, which has 10 teams and none with a winning record. Arkansas-Pine Bluff and Alabama State are the best at 6-7.
• Only one league in America, the Big 12 Conference, has all winning teams. All 12 teams are above .500, led by Kansas at 16-0.
• Kansas is one of just three undefeated teams left in Division I basketball along with North Carolina and Memphis.
• Looking at the competition in Conference USA, Memphis should go undefeated this year.
• Looking at the competition in the Atlantic Coast Conference, North Carolina might go unbeaten but will probably lose to Duke at least once.
• Four days after beating BYU by 17 points, the ACC's Wake Forest lost to Boston College by 39 points. (Does that mean the best team in the MWC is 58 points worse than a middle-of-the-pack ACC team?)
• Saint Mary's defeated Santa Clara by 31 points the other day.
Saint Mary's was the team that was supposed to play Utah last week before pulling out to play Texas. Santa Clara beat Utah by 16 points earlier this year. (Does that mean Saint Mary's would have beaten Utah by 47 points last week if they would have played?)
• Iowa held No. 6-ranked Michigan State to 36 points in a 43-36 win Saturday. Iowa is the same team that lost to Utah State by 13 points earlier this year. (Since Utah State and BYU don't play each other this year, does that mean USU is 27 points better than BYU since the Cougars lost to Michigan State by 7?)
• The UMBC Retrievers are the only winning team in the America East Conference at 11-6. The league features teams such as Vermont, Boston U. and Albany, but does anyone know what UMBC stands for? I had to do some digging to discover that UMBC stands for University of Maryland Baltimore County.
• None of the 10 Division I independent teams has a winning record, including Utah Valley State at 6-12.
• Southern Utah is 4-12 under first-year coach Roger Reid, the former BYU head coach.
• Former Utah assistant Kerry Rupp is 3-12 as Louisiana Tech's first-year coach.
• San Diego State won its second game in MWC play Saturday with an upset win over New Mexico to go with its win over TCU last week.
In between the two victories, however, the Aztecs lost at home to Northern Colorado. (Does that mean because one of the worst Big Sky teams can beat the MWC leader that the Big Sky is the superior league?)
• Northern Colorado has a player named Thanasi Panagiotakopoulos. Really.
• Kentucky coach Billy Gillispie's resume isn't as impressive as I would have thought. The guy who beat out Utah's Jim Boylen for the Texas A&M job in 2004 was a high school coach as recently as 1993 and had only two years of college head coaching experience, including a 6-24 season, before going to Texas A&M. He did have three 20-game winning seasons at A&M before going to Kentucky.• Kentucky has had just one losing basketball season in the past 80 years but was sporting a losing record until beating undefeated Vanderbilt in double overtime Saturday to improve to 7-7. As bad as that record is, it's still better than Gardner-Webb's.
E-mail: [email protected]