House Majority Leader David Clark, R-Santa Clara, says his bill proposes six steps to reform health care:
1. Giving patients cost and quality information so they can "make a wise choice" regarding cost and quality of their health care.
2. Promoting healthful behaviors among Utahns.
3. Increasing enrollment in existing programs, such as CHIP and Medicaid, for eligible Utahns.
4. Asking the Governor's Office of Economic Development to work with the Utah departments of health and insurance and various stakeholders to address 16 health-system issues and make recommendations for the 2009 Legislature.
5. Building collaboration for long-term participation among stakeholders.
6. Instituting tax cuts as a way to remove barriers for people who get insurance other than through employer-based coverage.