Skyline's chances of pulling off an upset over Bingham on Tuesday night were thwarted when an unidentified person sealed a lid on the rim the Eagles were slated to shoot at after halftime.

OK, that didn't really happen. It just seemed that way.

The Miners held Skyline scoreless in the third quarter to break open a close game and cruise to a 47-31 victory. It was the final tune-up for both teams before they start league play on Friday.

The Eagles went nearly 12 minutes without scoring in Tuesday's game. After Cameron Taylor made a jump shot to tie the game at 18-18 with 1:18 left in the second quarter, Skyline didn't score again until Andrew Jones tipped in a basket with 5:25 remaining in the fourth quarter.

Bingham scored 21 consecutive points during that span, turning what was a tight game into a rout.

"That was great," said Miners guard Kyle Harrison. "We just buckled down and started playing defense and doing what we usually do. We're smaller than everybody, so we just hustle more on defense."

It was easily Bingham's best defensive effort of the season. The Miners' previous best in points allowed came last Friday when they gave up 41 points against Hillcrest.

"I'm very happy with the fact that we were able to hold them down defensively and rebound the ball pretty well," said Bingham coach Mark Dubach. "I'm not happy because it felt like we struggled to score. But you take whatever you get in a game."

Harrison carried the Miners' offense against Skyline, as he poured in 21 points. He was too much for the Eagles to handle, as he made a 3-pointer, created his own shot opportunities, and went hard to the basket.

"He got us going," said Miners guard T.J. Ford.

Junior Blake Krahenbuhl had 11 points for the Miners. Jones led Skyline with 11 points and three 3-pointers.

Bingham started fast against the Eagles, scoring the game's first seven points. Skyline responded and looked like it was going to turn the game into a dogfight after Taylor tied it just before halftime. But the Eagles were worn down by Bingham's better depth, and they couldn't get to the foul line. They attempted just two free throws in the contest.

"All and all, it was a good game," Ford said.

Both teams are now 7-4.

E-mail: [email protected]