A perjury suspect in the Kiplyn Davis disappearance has been ordered to return to federal court to answer to the allegation that he called and threatened to hurt someone.

A petition for pretrial release violation was filed Monday against David Rucker Leifson, alleging that on Aug. 17, Leifson called an individual in North Salt Lake and "threatened to inflict physical harm."

Leifson has been on pretrial release pending sentencing for perjury in U.S. District Court, which is scheduled next Thursday.

The threat was investigated by North Salt Lake Police, who forwarded the telephone harassment case to North Salt Lake Justice Court, which issued a warrant on Nov. 2. The charge is a class B misdemeanor.

Leifson's attorney, Ed Brass, said he recently had seen the petition and did not yet know enough about the situation to comment. "It's not connected to anyone in the case," Brass said.

The U.S. Attorney's Office also confirmed that the person allegedly threatened was not a witness in the Davis case.

A date for Leifson's appearance before a federal magistrate judge had not been scheduled as of Monday. If found in violation of his release order, which specifies that he follow all laws, Leifson could find himself held in federal custody pending sentencing. Federal prosecutors said they expect that Thursday's sentencing will be pushed back.

Last October, Leifson pleaded guilty to charges he lied to a federal grand jury about Davis' disappearance just one week before he was to stand trial. In court, Leifson admitted he lied to the grand jury in 2004 when questioned about the disappearance of 15-year-old Davis, who vanished from Spanish Fork High School on May 2, 1995.

Police believe Davis was taken up Spanish Fork Canyon where she was raped, murdered and buried. She has never been found.

Leifson admitted to lying when he denied having two heated arguments with murder suspect Timmy Brent Olsen, furious that Olsen had told others that Leifson was behind Davis' disappearance. According to the indictment against Leifson, two people were witnesses to both confrontations and a third witness recorded Leifson admitting to having the arguments while wearing a concealed wire.

During the perjury trial of Timmy Brent Olsen in July 2006, Olsen's former girlfriend testified that while she and Olsen were "dragging" Main Street in Spanish Fork in the summer of 1996, an angry Leifson forced their car off the road. Leifson walked up to their car and warned Olsen to stop telling people that he was involved in Davis' murder and disappearance and that he "better keep his mouth shut," the woman testified.

Olsen was found guilty by a federal jury of perjury and was sentenced to 12 years in federal prison. He, along with Chris Jeppson, both face murder charges in Provo's 4th District Court.

E-mail: [email protected]