A drink is:
• 12 ounces of regular beer
• 8 ounces of malt liquor
• 5 ounces of wine
• 1.5 ounces of 80-proof liquor
Moderate drinking is:
• Up to one drink a day, on average, for women
• Up to two drinks a day, on average, for men
"Excessive drinking" causes more than 75,000 deaths in the United States each year.
Among those deaths:
• 46 percent result from chronic conditions, including liver disease.
• 54 percent result from acute conditions, including injuries from vehicle crashes.
Source: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, from USA TODAY