1 of 2
Mackenzie Hunter

The parents of a woman gunned down in the Trolley Square shooting rampage are asking a federal judge to allow them to speak at the upcoming sentencing of a man convicted of selling a gun to her killer.

Sue and Ken Antrobus filed a motion last week in federal court, seeking to have Vanessa Quinn recognized as a victim in the case and seeking the right to speak at Mackenzie Hunter's sentencing on Jan. 14.

"My husband and I cry every day, we struggle to get through each and every day, you wake up with it, you carry it through your day and it goes to bed with you every night," Sue Antrobus wrote in a letter to the judge. "All you can do is hope tomorrow will be a little easier then (sic) today. February 12 has never ended for us; it feels like one long continuous day that will never end."

Hunter and his friend, Brenden Taylor Brown, sold a .38 Special to Sulejman Talovic, which was the gun used to kill Quinn as she stood outside the Bath and Body Works store inside the Trolley Square mall. On Feb. 12, Talovic killed five people and wounded four others in a shooting rampage before dying in a shootout with police.

Federal prosecutors have said that because there is no evidence that Hunter or anyone else knew Talovic was going to go on a killing spree, his victims cannot legally be considered victims in court. The Antrobus family is challenging that.

"What gets us angry the most is when someone tells us we are not victims," Sue Antrobus wrote. "If we are not victims, then maybe you can tell me who is?"

The Antrobuses are also seeking $107,000 in restitution for Quinn's funeral expenses, as well as lost income.

"If the defendant proves he lacks any resources to pay restitution, the Antrobuses respectfully suggest that a payment schedule of $25 per quarter while incarcerated and $500 per month after release from prison might be appropriate," their attorney, Greg Skordas, wrote in court papers.

Hunter is scheduled to be sentenced next month and faces up to 10 years in prison. In court papers filed in federal court on Friday, the U.S. Attorney's Office in Utah said it does not dispute a pre-sentence recommendation from federal probation officers, but did not note what that recommendation is.


E-mail: [email protected]