The adult son of a West Valley couple found his parents dead in their home about 6 p.m. Sunday.

Police believe the woman, 69, and her husband, 70, died of carbon monoxide poisoning. An electric generator was found running in the garage of the home, located near 3950 South Calico Way (4860 South), said West Valley Police Lt. Dalan Taylor.

The man was found slumped over in a chair near his computer, and the woman was found upstairs sitting on a couch, Taylor said.

Police officers were unaware Sunday night how long the couple's electricity had been out. Power to about 18,000 houses in the Salt Lake Valley was knocked out Saturday morning following Friday's snow storm, said Rocky Mountain Power spokesman Dave Eskelsen.

He was unaware of the West Valley fatalities Sunday but said his company actively encourages safe use of alternative energy.

People should never use internal combustion heaters indoors, he said. They should also ensure other forms of alternative power have adequate ventilation.