The American Cancer Society and the Utah Division of Radiation Control are encouraging people to test their homes for radon gas, an invisible, odorless, tasteless, radioactive gas responsible for both non-smoking lung cancer and accelerated forms of lung cancer in smokers.

Adults and children are exposed to radon in homes, commercial buildings, schools and other places. Radon gas is emitted by soil and rock and enters buildings through cracks in floors or walls, construction joints or gaps in foundations around pipes, wires or pumps. Improper ventilation can result in a dangerous accumulation of the gas.

Radon test kits are available at home supply stores or by checking the "Safety Products" link at

"Radon-induced lung cancer can be prevented by reducing radon levels in homes and other buildings," said David Neville, Utah's Indoor Radon Coordinator for the Department of Environmental Quality. "It's all about managing risk. Since radon is everywhere, and it is impossible to eliminate all of it, you are focused on lowering higher levels to acceptable levels."

More information is available at and