Seventeen patents were awarded to Utah inventors on Nov. 6.
• Article of footwear with an articulated sole structure. Steve McDonald, Heber; Tobie D. Hatfield, Lake Oswego, Ore. Assigned to Nike Inc., Beaverton, Ore. Filed April 1, 2005, claiming priority to multiple prior patent applications. Patent No. 7,290,357.
• Upflow bioreactor having a septum and an auger and drive assembly. Carl S. Hansen, Garland; Conly L. Hansen, North Logan. Assigned to Utah State University, North Logan. Filed Oct. 27, 2006. Patent No. 7,290,669.
• Mounting bracket. Dennis H. Hancock, Mountain Green. Assigned to Stearns Inc., Sauk Rapids, Minn. Filed Jan. 31, 2005. Patent No. 7,290,690.
• Concrete form systems with concrete ties. Derrel L. Spencer, Lehi; L. Alma Jessop, Herriman. Assigned to Cactus Holdings LLC, Lehi. Filed July 7, 2004, claiming priority to provisional patent Application No. 60/544,698, filed Feb. 13, 2004. Patent No. 7,290,749.
• Center discharge hybrid inflator device. Gregory J. Lang, South Ogden; William D. Staheli, North Ogden; Robert E. Lewis, West Haven; Steve Taylor, Sunset. Assigned to Autoliv ASP Inc., Ogden. Filed Oct. 29, 2004. Patent No. 7,290,797.
• Vehicle impact energy management system. Bradley W. Smith, Ogden; David W. Parkinson, North Ogden. Assigned to Autoliv ASP Inc., Ogden. Filed May 19, 2005. Patent No. 7,290,812.
• Mounting system for an X-ray tube. Craig Smith, Herriman; Christopher Artig, Summit Park. Assigned to Varian Medical Systems Technologies Inc., Palo Alto, Calif. Filed Feb. 9, 2004. Patent No. 7,290,929.
• Actuated electric connection. David R. Hall, Joe Fox, both of Provo. Filed Jul. 5, 2005. Patent No. 7,291,028.
• Infusion syringe. Evan W. Call, Bountiful. Assigned to Physicians Industries Inc., West Valley City. Filed April 23, 2004, claiming priority to multiple prior patent applications. Patent No. 7,291,131.
• Method for bonding a transmission line to a downhole tool. David R. Hall, Provo; Joe Fox, Spanish Fork. Assigned to IntelliServ Inc., Provo. Filed Dec. 31, 2003. Patent No. 7,291,303.
• Target volume based torque phase control during upshift. Aaron Pfadt, Salt Lake City; Gang Chen, Rochester Hills, Mich. Assigned to Chrysler LLC, Auburn Hills, Mich. Filed Sept. 8, 2005. Patent No. 7,292,922.
• Disambiguating point-of-sale data through item indexing. Ronald S. Sorensen, Francis; William D. Dunlavy, Robert J. Peressini, both of Park City. Assigned to Park City Group, Park City. Filed May 9, 2003. Patent No. 7,292,991.
• Method and apparatus for disruption sensitive network data management. Peter E. Johnson, Lehi; David A. Eatough, Herriman. Assigned to Intel Corp., Santa Clara, Calif. Filed May 30, 2002. Patent No. 7,293,091.
• Poultry holder for roasting pans. S. Ty Measom, Logan. Assigned to Logan Outdoor Products LLC, Logan. Filed Jan. 4, 2006. Design Patent No. D554,429.
• Travel mug. Alfredo Carreno, Aurora, Ill.; David Meyers, Kaysville. Assigned to Thermos LLC, Rolling Meadows, Ill. Filed July 28, 2005. Design Patent No. D554,435.
• Roof canopy. Bradley J. Hanson, North Augusta, S.C.; Donald S. Hanson, Evans, Ga.; Anthony R. Rossello, Eagle Mountain. Assigned to Textron Inc., Providence, R.I. Filed Feb. 2, 2007. Design Patent No. D554,574.• Clip-in nostril expander. Glen B. Reed, St. George. Filed March 15, 2007. Design Patent No. D554,752.
Karl R. Cannon is a Registered Patent Attorney and a founding shareholder in the Salt Lake area law firm of Clayton, Howarth & Cannon P.C., specialists in patent, trademark and copyright law. He may be contacted at 801-255-5335 or by e-mail at [email protected]. Copies of patents are available by mail for $3 each from U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, Box 9 (Copy Sales), Washington, DC 20231; by credit card via telephone 703-308-9726 or toll free 800-972-6382; facsimile 703-305-8759; or e-mail [email protected]. Patents can also be viewed and printed free of charge from several Internet sites, including www.uspto.gov or www.delphion.com.