PLYMOUTH, Mass. (AP) Tourists hoping for a look at legendary Plymouth Rock next spring will instead see nothing but a reinforced plywood box.
The famous symbol of America's founding is going to be covered from March to May as state park officials begin a $680,000 overhaul of a granite and steel portico built over the rock's remains.
The idea is to protect the rock from any falling steel, stone or mortar.
The rock is located at the spot where it's believed the Pilgrims first walked ashore from the Mayflower in 1620.
Officials want to protect it because it's taken a bit of a beating over the years.
It cracked in half when townspeople working a team of oxen tried to move it to the village center in 1774.
And early tourists chipped away at the rock, taking pieces all over the country.