Twenty-two patents were awarded to Utah inventors on Oct. 23. They include:
• Primary chain adjustment measuring tool. Victor Iverson, Farmington. Filed Aug. 30, 2005. Patent No. 7,284,340.
• Methods of manufacturing bearing brace apparatus. James M. Smelser, Sandy. Assigned to SME Steel Contractors Inc., West Jordan. Filed May 11, 2004, a divisional of Patent No. 7,174,680, filed May 29, 2002. Patent No. 7,284,358.
• Pressure control valve having intrinsic mechanical feedback system. Stephen C. Jacobsen, Salt Lake City; Shane Olsen, Centerville; Michael Morrison, West Jordan. Assigned to Sarcos Investments LC, Salt Lake City. Filed Dec. 1, 2005, claiming priority to provisional patent Application No. 60/632,867, filed Dec. 2, 2004. Patent No. 7,284,471.
• Needleless injection device and method of injecting. Conly L. Hansen, Edward D. Watts, both of North Logan. Filed May 8, 2003. Patent No. 7,284,477.
• Fluid dispensing bins and related methods. Gregory P. Elgan, Jeremy K. Larsen, both of Providence; Brett L. Allred, Hyde Park; Gary Graetz, Smithfield; Jim Austin, Fort Worth, Texas. Assigned to Hyclone Laboratories Inc., Logan. Filed March 26, 2004, claiming priority to provisional patent Application No. 60/458,895, filed March 28, 2003. Patent No. 7,284,579.
• Baby seat cover diaper bag/activity center. Marvelee Johnson Brewer, Moab. Filed Dec. 16, 2003, claiming priority to patent
Application No. 60/433,277, filed Dec. 16, 2002. Patent No. 7,284,790.
• Interleaving apparatus and methods for radial printing. Randy Q. Jones, Sunnyvale, Calif.; Michael R. Thompson, Los Gatos, Calif.; Carl E. Youngberg, Mapleton. Assigned to Elesys Inc., Sunnyvale, Calif. Filed Sept. 7, 2004, claiming priority to multiple prior patent applications. Patent No. 7,284,804.
• Wide safety strap for electrical fixtures. Brent L. Kidman, Spanish Fork. Assigned to Cheetah USA Corp., Sandy. Filed Jan. 10, 2006, claiming priority to multiple prior patent applications. Patent No. 7,284,996.
• Incline trainer. Gordon Cutler, Providence; Matthew R. Plott, River Heights; William T. Dalebout, North Logan. Assigned to Icon IP Inc., Logan. Filed Dec. 11, 2003. Patent No. 7,285,075.
• Devices and methods for the correction and treatment of spinal deformities. John T. Braun, Salt Lake City; Fred J. Molz,
Collierville, Tenn.; Troy D. Drewry, Michael C. Sherman, both of Memphis, Tenn. Assigned to Warsaw Orthopedic Inc., Warsaw, Ind. Filed May 2, 2002, claiming priority to provisional patent Application No. 60/337,937, filed Nov. 5, 2001. Patent No. 7,285,121.
• Method and apparatus for sterilizing a lumen device. Szu-Min Lin, Laguna Hills, Calif.; Paul Taylor Jacobs, Bicknell. Assigned to Ethicon Inc., New Brunswick, N.J. Filed April 29, 2005, claiming priority to multiple prior patent applications. Patent No. 7,285,254.
• Battery. Alan Ruth, Orem; Andy Szyszkowski, Canyon Country, Calif.; Clay Kishiyama, Valencia, Calif.; Hiroyuki Yumoto, Stevenson Ranch, Calif.; Hisashi Tsukamoto, Saugus, Calif. Assigned to Quallion LLC, Sylmar, Calif. Filed April 29, 2003, claiming priority to multiple prior patent applications. Patent No. 7,285,355.
• Ends-out gene targeting method. Kent G. Golic, Wei J. Gong, both of Salt Lake City. Assigned to Stowers Institute for Medical Research, Kansas City, Mo. Filed May 9, 2003, claiming priority to provisional patent Application No. 60/416,561, filed Oct. 7, 2002. Patent No. 7,285,699.
• Yagi antenna with balancing tab. Alan Van Buren, Richard M. Kline, both of Cedar City. Assigned to Wilson Electronics Inc., St. George. Filed June 8, 2006. Patent No. 7,286,097.
• Systems, methods and devices for X-ray device focal spot control. Gregory C. Andrews, Draper. Assigned to Varian Medical
Systems Technologies Inc., Palo Alto, Calif. Filed April 28, 2004. Patent No. 7,286,644.
• Method for haplotype analysis. Alun Thomas, Salt Lake City. Assigned to Myriad Genetics Inc., Salt Lake City. Filed Aug. 11, 2003, claiming priority to provisional patent Application No. 60/402,439, filed Aug. 9, 2002. Patent No. 7,286,941.
• Intentional-stance characterization of a general content stream or repository. Stephen R. Carter, Spanish Fork; Delos C. Jensen, Orem. Assigned to Novell Inc., Provo. Filed Sept. 5, 2000. Patent No. 7,286,977.
• Computing environment failover in a branch office environment. Kyrt V. Nay, Mapleton; Thomas J. Brough, Highland; Scott A. Isaacson, Kamuela, Hawaii; Robert Wipfel, Draper. Assigned to Novell Inc., Provo. Filed March 20, 2003. Patent No. 7,287,083.
• Video-on-demand system which builds transmission control lists and uses such lists to send video data packets with respective subgroups of Internet protocol headers. Kent M. Campbell, Stephen Ralph Bates, Thomas Charles Harsch, all of Salt Lake City; Robert Louis Jacobs, John Waldimars Ulis, both of Sandy. Assigned to Unisys Corp., Blue Bell, Pa. Filed Dec. 4, 2001. Patent No. 7,287,268.
• Affixing apparatus. Jacob R. Hall, Midway. Assigned to Cateye Co. Ltd., Japan. Filed Aug. 22, 2003. Design Patent No. D553,485.
• Carbon monoxide monitor. Scott M. Morgan, Highland. Filed Nov. 7, 2005. Design Patent No. D553,521.• Ladder hinge pair. Ryan N. Moss, Mapleton; Jack W. Bowers, Springville. Assigned to Wing Enterprises Inc., Springville. Filed Feb. 11, 2006. Design Patent No. D553,757.
Karl R. Cannon is a registered patent attorney and a founding shareholder in the Salt Lake area law firm of Clayton, Howarth & Cannon P.C., specialists in patent, trademark and copyright law. He may be contacted at 801-255-5335 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. Copies of patents are available by mail for $3 each from U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, Box 9 (Copy Sales), Washington, DC 20231; by credit card via telephone 703-308-9726 or toll free 800-972-6382; facsimile 703-305-8759; or e-mail email@example.com. Patents can also be viewed and printed free of charge from several Internet sites, including www.uspto.gov or www.delphion.com.