A culinary instructor at Utah Valley State College was named Chef of the Year by the Beehive Chefs Chapter of the American Culinary Federation. Troy Wilson received the honor from chapter president Peter Hodgson at the group's annual President's Dinner on Nov. 3.
The nonprofit organization honored a number of chefs, restaurateurs, food vendors, students and others involved in the culinary profession. The ACF has about 65,000 members and offers a national certification program for chefs, according to David Prows, the chapter public relations chairman.
Chef of the Year is the most prestigious award and is based on the chef's leadership and activity within the chapter, as well as level of culinary education and certification, said Prows.
"I am absolutely in love with what I do," said Wilson. "I have the best job in the world. The students challenge you. They make you work, they teach you things on a daily basis."
Other awards given by Hodgson include:
• Lifetime achievement award: Mel Harward, executive chef, Salt Lake Country Club.
• Community service: Valerie Phillips, food editor of the Deseret Morning News.
• Presidential award: Carl Rubadue, executive chef, University Hospital.
• President's award: Bernhard Gotz, executive chef, Little America; Jamie Gillmor, Morgan Valley Lamb; Temple Square Hospitality banquet chef Don Sanchez; and culinary instructor Jack Jones.
• Chef professional of the year: Wendy Hunter, executive chef, Nu Skin Enterprises.
• Sous chef of the year: Alex Johnson, Salt Lake Hilton Hotel.
• Honorary chef: Melva Sine, president, Utah Restaurant Association.
• Educator of the year: Leslie Seiferle, Salt Lake Community College.
• Line cook of the year: Navidad Huitron, University Hospital.
• Gold vendor awards: Bintz Restaurant Supply, Sysco Intermountain Food Services, Muir Copper Canyon Farms, U.S. Food Service, Intermountain Foods Corp., and Nicholas & Co.
• Silver vendor awards: Bunge Oils, Rodon Foods and Farmland Foods.
• Junior member of the year: Hilary Gillette, Utah Valley State College.• Culinary competition: students Tamara Berendson and Ching Wang.