AMERICAN FORK — Criminal charges were filed Monday against two people who police say attacked police and football players during a bench-clearing fight on the American Fork High School football field.

Williams Shawn Asiata, 19, and a 17-year-old juvenile police won't name each face a class B misdemeanor of assault in American Fork's justice court, said American Fork Police Chief Lance Call.

"We think the Utah High School Activities Association has done a nice job dealing with coaches and players and their involvement," Call said. "Our focus was on people who should not have been on the field."

Just before the Nov. 2 semifinal game between Hunter and American Fork high schools ended, a fight broke out and coaches and players and fans spilled onto the field.

Police aren't sure why Asiata, the younger brother of University of Utah's injured running back Matt Asiata, was on the field. He is from West Valley City and is a former Hunter High student but is not part of the coaching staff, Call said.

He is accused of kicking a downed player twice in the head, Call said.

The juvenile is charged with assault on a police officer and disorderly conduct. Police wouldn't comment on the teen's hometown or his connection to the game.

Originally, police were concerned that a third person might have been involved in an attack on a person on the field.

"After we interviewed everyone involved, (we found) that the legal definition of an assault did not occur," Call said. "The contact occurred between he and the person was incidental. It didn't meet the element of an assault."

Police subpoenaed and requested videotape from anyone who had one and were able to screen six different tapes and go through school rosters to identify people from the footage.

"I think it's worked out well," Call said. "(Everyone) cooperated very well."

Asiata and the teen were cited by police, and Asiata is set to appear in American Fork Court Nov. 27.

Contributing: Amy Donaldson

E-mail: [email protected]