Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret Morning News
Utah freshman receiver Jereme Brooks dives for a touchdown past Wyoming's Michael Medina.

The way Utah's football team lit up the scoreboard Saturday, you might've thought UCLA was in town again or perhaps that Urban Meyer recently shipped back an old playbook.

An even more likely scenario was that the red-hot — for several reasons — Utes simply wanted to get some payback and make certain a guaranteed Wyoming victory was rendered null and void.

They accomplished that and had a whole lot of avenging fun in a 50-0 whipping of Wyoming.

"Everything just worked," said Utah's Derrek Richards, who had 86 yards receiving and 104 yards in punt returns. "Things are rolling for us right now."

Amen, brother.

Scary thing, this blowout wasn't even as close as the final score indicates. Utah bolted to a 40-0 lead in the first half — its biggest halftime advantage since 2004 — and didn't ease up. The Utes even attempted an onside kick when up by 43 in the third quarter.

And the Utes offered no apologies — or mercy — for their sixth straight win and their first 50-point game since the Meyer era.

"We took this game upon ourselves as a big challenge," Richards said. "We had two weeks to prepare for them and we executed well."

While piling up 505 yards, Utah reached deep into its bag of how-to-quash-a-guarantee tricks, scoring on a fumblerooski, setting up a TD with a fake punt, running hook-and-ladder plays and using misdirection runs to confuse the Cowboys.

Though Darrell Mack flirted with the century mark again in a 97-yard, two-TD day, it was Utah's receivers who did most of the razzling, dazzling and frazzling.

Freshman Jereme Brooks notched the first two touchdowns, with his first collegiate score coming after Wyoming's fake punt was squashed like Joe Glenn's promise, giving Utah the ball on the 28.

He crouched low behind the line — not hard for him considering he's only 5-foot-9 — and waited for quarterback Brian Johnson to put the ball between his legs. The U. offense moved to the right, taking most of Wyoming's defense with it, and Brooks took the fumblerooski left with a burst into the end zone.

"It was just a little trick play we set up over the bye week. It worked to perfection," said Brooks, who also scored on a 16-yard reverse in the second quarter.

Receiver Bradon Godfrey also had a touchdown reception.

But it was the widest receiver who probably had the most memorable play. Ute "kickerback" Louie Sakoda hurled a fake punt pass to Neli A'asa, one of his humongous upman blockers. Listed at 6-2 and a rounded-down-to-the-nearest-hundred 300 pounds, the large freshman then niftily lumbered through defenders into the end zone.

It appeared to be a TD on replays, but officials ruled him out at the 1, where Mack punched it in for a 33-0 lead.

"I was shaking the whole time," admitted A'asa, a defensive lineman credited with a 41-yard reception. "Everything was in slow motion."

Everything except for him, of course.

"Out there," he said with a smile, "I felt like I was running a 4.3 (40-yard dash)."

That put the rest of the Utes in about the 3.5 range — or so it probably felt like to Wyoming players.

E-mail: [email protected]