OGDEN — Whether or not Weber State would win its final home game was not in question. The Wildcats continuing their offensive steamroller, even, wasn't a matter of debate.

Rather, the item causing the most suspense for the 3,155 fans at Stewart Stadium was if the guy buzzing the field throughout the first half with his ultra-light aircraft would crash into the scoreboard.

The only crash the fans saw, however, was Fort Lewis hitting the turf time and time again as Weber State dominated its home finale with a 48-3 decision.

"To tell you the truth," WSU defensive lineman Pate Moleni said, "we did feel sorry for them."

That sorrow came because of the absolute domination Weber State's defense had over the Skyhawks. The tiny Division II school from Durango, Colo., managed just 11 offensive yards and only one first down.

"Eleven yards," WSU coach Ron McBride said. "That's a pretty good day ... It looked all week long that (the defense) was going to be lights out."

Weber State, on the other hand, churned out 535 yards and had 22 first downs in a game that was kept close for a while only because of Wildcat mistakes.

The win evens WSU's record at 5-5 with only a road trip to Eastern Washington standing in the way of a winning season.

As expected, the Wildcats had little trouble moving the ball against the Skyhawks.

Trevyn Smith took advantage of his lesser opponent by rushing for 134 yards on 10 carries — in the first quarter.

If not for a pair of lost Cameron Higgins first-quarter fumbles and an interception late in the second quarter, the Wildcats might have put up their increasingly regular astounding offensive numbers. Instead, WSU had to settle for a 17-3 lead at the break after a rather lackluster 30 minutes of football.

Smith scored on an 18-yard run in the first quarter and Higgins found Tim Toone for a 34-yard touchdown later in the second. But when Higgins' interception was returned 45 yards, it set up a 36-yard Fort Lewis field goal and gave McBride all the ammunition he needed to unload on his team in the locker room.

"I got all over them," McBride said, noting his desire to keep the team focused. "I called them quite a few names."

Still, it was a dominating half for WSU. The Wildcats had 329 yards of total offense, including 181 on the ground from Smith, and limited the Skyhawks (1-9) to just 15 yards and only one first down.

The second half was more of the same and then some.

For Lewis actually had minus-4 yards offense in the final two quarters and the score could have been much more lopsided had McBride not slowed things down.

"You could see in his face that he just didn't want to get back up," WSU defensive end Kevin Linehan, who had two sacks and three tackles for lost yardage, said of FLC quarterback Dave Neiman,

The Wildcats poured on the points in the third quarter, turning their 17-3 lead into a 41-3 advantage by the time the fourth period began. Bryant Eteuati returned a punt 58 yards for one score and Higgins tossed touchdowns of 20 and 41 yards to Mike Phillips and Toone, respectively.

"What we wanted to do is control the clock and get the game over with," McBride said.

Fort Lewis, accordingly, complied.

E-mail: [email protected]