Last night "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" featured the Miller family from Wyoming. It was about the radon problem in their home and how to eliminate it: They blew up the house with explosives.

Utah has many of the same radon problems as Wyoming and people ask many questions. As a radon expert, I understand why it is confusing.

Radon is invisible, tasteless and odorless. The only way to know if you have a problem is to test. Radon causes nonsmoking lung cancer and is responsible for 12 percent of all lung cancers. Though all cancers are unfortunate, sometimes citizens feel like lung cancer is something you deserve, since people who smoke need to understand choice and accountability. But nobody deserves cancer.

And radon causes lung cancer in people who have never smoked. A $10 test lets you know your home's levels. If you are buying or selling a home, absolutely include a radon test as part of the home inspection test. Radon-educated Realtors can be found at www.radon.utah.gov.

David Neville

West Jordan