MUMBAI, India — A movie director withdrew a legal challenge Thursday aimed at blocking India's choice for a foreign film Oscar because the court hearings dragged on too long — rendering the petition pointless.

Bhavna Talwar launched a petition against the selection of "Eklavya: The Royal Guard" in the High Court earlier this month claiming bias because of close ties between its director, Vidhu Vinod Chopra, and several members of the Film Federation of India's selection committee.

But Talwar withdrew her petition Thursday, a day after the entry deadline set by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences had passed.

"'Eklavya' has already gone to the Oscars and that's fine. We let that go," Talwar told The Associated Press.

Talwar's own movie, "Dharm," had also been among those shortlisted for this year's Oscar entry for India.

"Eklavya: The Royal Guard," starring Amitabh Bachchan, is about an aging guard's struggle to protect a royal dynasty and its legions of secrets.

Although Bollywood is the world's largest film industry based on the number of films it produces, none of its movies has won an Oscar for best foreign film.

Ang Lee's "Lust, Caution" has been withdrawn as Taiwan's entry for the best foreign film category at next year's Oscars. Officials said an insufficient number of Taiwanese had participated in the production of the spy thriller.

Taiwan has replaced "Lust, Caution" with Chen Huai-en's "Island Etude."