Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret Morning News
A body is carried out of a Sandy home Wednesday. A woman was hospitalized in critical condition.

SANDY — "My husband has stabbed me. ... I believe I'm dying."

That's what 56-year-old Kathy Scanlan told emergency dispatchers early Wednesday morning after she was stabbed twice in the chest apparently by her husband and struggled to call 911. A recording of the call was released Wednesday afternoon.

Sandy police were called at 1:49 a.m. to 11751 S. Stone Valley Way (1020 East). Scanlan was sleeping when she was awakened by her husband, who was "on top of her and stabbing her," Sandy Police Sgt. Victor Quezada said. As Kathy Scanlan struggled out of the room, she was unaware that her husband, 55-year-old Alefosio Scanlan, plunged the knife into his chest and took his own life.

On the 911 tape, Kathy Scanlan is calm while talking to the dispatcher but seems to be fading in and out of consciousness. She tells the dispatcher that she's not sure she can make it down the stairs to unlock the door for police. The dispatcher tells her to sit down, not move and use her nightgown to apply direct pressure to her wound.

"I think I'm going to pass out," she tells the dispatcher at one point.

About four minutes into the call, Scanlan starts to softly cry, saying, "I can't open my eyes to see." At another point, while explaining the incident to the dispatcher, she says her husband told her before stabbing her, "I'm going to kill you."

The dispatcher was able to calm Scanlan down and keep her on the phone until police arrived. Officers had to break through the locked front door to get inside. They found Kathy Scanlan lying on the staircase, Quezada said. The officers then did a sweep of the house and found Alefosio Scanlan's body in the bedroom, he said.

Kathy Scanlan was flown by medical helicopter to University Medical Center, where she remained in critical condition Wednesday night.

Police were not releasing an exact motive for the attack, saying only that there were some family issues that appeared to play a factor. Undisclosed evidence found inside the house supported detectives' beliefs that Alefosio Scanlan committed suicide and had planned on taking his wife's life, Quezada said.

Neighbors were shocked by the incident. One said Scanlan owned his own lawn-care business. She called Scanlan "very nice" and noted that both were quiet, easy-going people. Police did not have any prior reports of problems at the house, Quezada said.

E-mail: [email protected]