A lawyer for baseball players says George Mitchell never told the union before last week that he was willing to show its members evidence of doping allegations against them.

Mitchell, who has spent 1 1/2 years investigating the use of performance-enhancing drugs in baseball, said Friday that he asked players to meet with him "for the purpose of directly providing them with the evidence about the allegations and to give them a chance to respond."

Union general counsel Michael Weiner said Tuesday that Mitchell only informed players of that stance during a meeting last week and in a letter Friday. Weiner wrote to the former Senate Majority leader on Tuesday asking him to clarify his position and to provide his timeframe for completing the investigation.

"He certainly had not suggested prior to last week that the purpose of asking these players to come in was to provide them with evidence, provide them with anything," Weiner said.

Until now, Mitchell has provided players only with general notice that they have been accused, giving them the year of the alleged conduct and the team they were playing for at the time. He has not told them of the substances they are accused of using.

Active players generally have refused to meet with Mitchell, who is a director of the Boston Red Sox. The only active player known to have met with him was the New York Yankees' Jason Giambi, who did so only after Commissioner Bud Selig threatened discipline for remarks in a newspaper interview.

"In our view, the senator's current statement of his position can't be squared with substantial correspondence between the senator and the association over the course of the investigation nor can it be squared with communication and conduct directly with individuals who have been interviewed," Weiner said.

"What we're asking him to do is clarify exactly what his position is, and then we'll figure out what to do going forward. I don't think what he said is accurate. It certainly is not accurate if what he's saying is, 'It's been my position since March 1, 2007.' "

ANGELS GM RETIRES: Bill Stoneman spent so much time building the Angels into a perennial contender that he knew when he didn't have enough energy to stay on as the team's general manager. Stoneman stepped down Tuesday, saying he wanted to spend more time with his wife, Diane. He was replaced by player development director Tony Reagins.

"She didn't know when she married me that I would have a mistress," Stoneman said, alluding to the demands of his baseball career. "Right now, I'm leaving my mistress."

The 63-year-old Stoneman, who will remain with Los Angeles as a senior adviser, became the Angels GM in November 1999, and the team improved by 12 wins in his first season.

After making the playoffs only three times previously, the Angels advanced to the postseason four times under Stoneman. They won their only World Series championship in 2002.

NO DECISION YET ON TORRE: Joe Torre's future with the Yankees remained unclear Tuesday after team officials gathered at the home of owner George Steinbrenner to debate whether the manager should return for a 13th season.

"The meetings are adjourned for tonight," spokesman Howard Rubenstein said shortly after the session ended about 4 p.m. "There have been no decisions made, nor will there be any comment today. The meetings will resume tomorrow."

Steinbrenner told The Record of Hackensack, N.J., on Oct. 6 that he didn't think he'd bring back the manager if the Yankees failed to advance to the AL championship series. Cleveland then eliminated New York in four games, sending New York to its third straight first-round exit.

ALSO: Reliever Frank Francisco and the Texas Rangers agreed Tuesday to a one-year contract that avoided salary arbitration.