Eighteen patents were awarded to Utah inventors on Sept. 18. U.S. patents are granted each Tuesday. The new patents include:
• Staged turbocharger. Steven R. Benson, Las Vegas, Nev.; Melvin H. Pedersen, North Salt Lake. Assigned to Precision Industries Inc., North Salt Lake. Filed May 5, 2004. Patent No. 7,269,950.
• System and method for pressure measurement. Yoshikazu Kaneko, Chikuma, Japan; Shuji Shimada, Nagano, Japan; Ikuhiro Yanagisawa, Ueda, Japan; Yoshinori Wada, Maruko-machi, Japan; William Stephen Kosh, Shelton; William J. Loxsom, Stratford. Assigned to Ashcroft-Nagano Inc., Stratford, Conn. Filed Aug. 27, 2004. Patent No. 7,270,010.
• Mobile system for rail-car unloading apparatus and method. Lloyd Ash, Pleasant Grove. Assigned to Ashross LLC., Pleasant Grovo. Filed Jan. 7, 2005, claiming priority to provisional patent application No. 60/534,897, filed Jan. 8, 2004. Patent No. 7,270,061.
• Four stroke internal combustion engine with inlet air compression chamber. Frank Keoppel, Ogden. Filed Dec. 21, 2005, claiming priority to multiple prior patent applications. Patent No. 7,270,110.
• Beverage mixer and heater. Thomas E. Daniels Jr., Sandy; Brian K. Beesley, Holladay. Assigned to Back to Basics Products, LLC., Vernon Hills, Ill. Filed Oct. 5, 2004, claiming priority to multiple prior patent applications. Patent No. 7,270,156.
• Drill bit assembly. David R. Hall, Provo. Filed Nov. 21, 2005. Patent No. 7,270,196.
• Cutting element with a non-shear stress relieving substrate interface. John V. Fernandez, David R. Hall, both of Provo. Filed Sept. 19, 2005. Patent No. 7,270,199.
• Out-of-position friction stir welding of high melting temperature alloys. Russell Steel, Salem; Tracy W. Nelson, Springville; Carl D. Sorensen, Provo; Scott Packer, Alpine. Assigned to SII Megadiamond Inc., Brigham Young University, both of Provo; Advanced Metal Products Inc., West Bountiful. Filed Jan. 30, 2004, claiming priority to provisional patent application No. 60/443,801, filed Jan. 30, 2003. Patent No. 7,270,257.
• Arrow system. Teddy D. Palomaki, Park City; Jacob C. Smith, Salt Lake City. Assigned to Jas D. Easton Inc., Van Nuys, Calif. Filed Nov. 8, 2005, a continuation of patent application No. 10/678,821, filed Oct. 3, 2003. Patent No. 7,270,618.
• Composition for removing stains from textiles. Edward E. Durrant, Providence. Assigned to Harris Research Inc., Logan. Filed Sept. 8, 2004. Patent No. 7,271,140.
• Monolitholic LED chip to emit multiple colors. Densen Cao, Sandy. Assigned to CAO Group Inc., West Jordan. Filed July 7, 2005, claiming priority to provisional patent application No. 60/585,988, filed July 7, 2004. Patent No. 7,271,420.
• Method and system for testing a signal path having an operational signal. Chet Lo, Cynthia Furse, both of Salt Lake City. Assigned to University of Utah Research Foundation, Salt Lake City. Filed Sept. 16, 2005, claiming priority to multiple prior patent applications. Patent No. 7,271,596.
• Acquisition of a synchronous CDMA TDD QPSK waveform using power and timing estimates. Delon Jones, West Bountiful; Brad Hansen, Lyman D. Horne, both of Salt Lake City. Assigned to L-3 Communications Corporation, New York, N.Y. Filed Oct. 30, 2002. Patent No. 7,272,124.
• System and method for an adaptive morphology X-ray beam in an X-ray system. Richard Larry Anderton, West Jordan; Dimitri Victorovich Yatsenko, Salt Lake City. Assigned to GE Medical Systems Global Technology Company, LLC.,Waukesha, Wis. Filed Sept. 21, 2004. Patent No. 7,272,208.
• Multi-channel active control system and method for the reduction of tonal noise from an axial fan. Kent L. Gee, State College, Pa.; Scott D. Sommerfeldt, Mapleton. Assigned to Brigham Young University, Provo. Filed April 4, 2003, claiming priority to provisional patent application No. 60/369,963, filed April 4, 2002. Patent No. 7,272,234.
• Dynamic selection of local oscillator signal injection for image rejection in integrated receivers. Dan B. Kasha, Salt Lake City; Donald A. Kerth, Tyson G. Tuttle, both of Austin, Texas. Assigned to Silicon Laboratories Inc., Austin, Texas. Filed June 30, 2004. Patent No. 7,272,374.
• Integrated low-IF terrestrial audio broadcast receiver and associated method. Dan B. Kasha, Salt Lake City; Tyson G. Tuttle, Austin, Texas. Assigned to Silicon Laboratories Inc., Austin, Texas. Filed June 30, 2004. Patent No. 7,272,375.• Toaster. Liao Zhiwen, Foshan, China; Eric Hales, Ogden; Brian K. Beesley, Draper. Assigned to Back to Basics Products Inc., Bluffdale. Filed Jan. 9, 2006. Design Patent No. D551,017.
Karl R. Cannon is a registered patent attorney and a founding shareholder in the law firm of Clayton, Howarth & Cannon P.C., specialists in patent, trademark and copyright law. He may be contacted at 801-255-5335 or by e-mail at email@example.com. Copies of patents are available by mail for $3 each from U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, Box 9 (Copy Sales), Washington, DC 20231; by credit card via telephone 703-308-9726 or toll free 800-972-6382; fax 703-305-8759; or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Patents can also be viewed and printed free of charge from several Internet sites, including www.uspto.gov or www.delphion.com.