Jason Olson, Deseret Morning News
Timpanogos goalie Alexa Anderson, right, goes for the ball along with Weber's Kristine Hilliard, left.

OREM — The Timpanogos girls soccer team dodged some bullets, then reached into its magic hat and got one second-half goal against Weber on Tuesday. That was all it needed to advance to the quarterfinals of the 5A tournament with a 1-0 win.

Marissa Nimmer scored in the 68th minute to send her team through, after Weber had wasted some earlier chances. In the first half, the T-wolves saw a few shots on their goal sail just off target. Late in the half they even left the net empty only for the Weber forward to send her shot high.

In final 40 minutes, Timpanogos fought its way back into the game and did what its opponent couldn't — finish on a scoring opportunity.

"I think luck is something that you earn, and it comes when you deserve it," said Timpanogos coach Natalyn Lewis. "We felt like we got a little lucky in the first half getting out of there 0-0. In the second half we didn't get lucky. We earned it. We came out and did the things that I asked them to do at halftime. We were able to finish it."

At times early in the game, T-Wolves' young lineup showed some shakiness. The passing wasn't crisp, and Weber was a step faster to the ball most of the time. Once nerves calmed down, the balance of the game was even until Nimmer's breakthrough score.

"I was really nervous before the game," said Nimmer. "The first half we didn't really play as well as we could have. The second half we came through and we worked hard."

The winning goal came when a long ball into the box bounced in front of midfielder Shelby Murray. The sophomore knocked the ball down to Nimmer, who volleyed her shot inside the near post. It wasn't a pretty goal, but it was all Timpanogos needed.

"It was set up really well by Shelby," said Nimmer. "Shelby trapped it and I was able to hit it in. We work on it a lot in practice."

Weber did what it could to push forward in the last 10 minutes but didn't get a lot of quality shots off. Freshman goalkeeper Alexa Anderson had to work hard for her third shutout of the season. She was forced off her line several times to cut off attacks and keep the shutout.

Weber's best chance came just seconds before the whistle when Alixe Ogden got on the end of a low cross. She had a look at the goal, but the ball went wide and skipped off the post.

Timpanogos will be on the road at Riverton for its second-round game. Lewis says she hasn't bothered to take a peek ahead yet but will have the team ready to play on Thursday.

"I really just focus on one game at a time for us," said Lewis. "I've got some work to do to figure out who we're playing and what they are like."