Seventeen patents were awarded to Utah inventors on Sept. 4. U.S. patents are granted each Tuesday. The new patents include:
• Thermoacoustic cooling device. Barton L. Smith, Logan. Assigned to Utah State University, North Logan. Filed March 25, 2004, claiming priority to provisional patent Application No. 60/457,619, filed March 25, 2003. Patent No. 7,263,837.
• Personal table. Jay Jones, L. Curtis Strong, both of Clearfield; David C. Winter, Layton; Stephen F. Nye, Syracuse; Brandon Smith, Ogden; Kent Ashby, Logan. Assigned to Lifetime Products Inc., Clearfield. Filed Jan. 18, 2005, claiming priority to multiple prior patent applications. Patent No. 7,263,932.
• Respiratory apparatus having an instrument introduction section and manifold. Edward B. Madsen, Riverton; William W. Letson, Alpharetta, Ga. Assigned to Kimberly-Clark Worldwide Inc., Neenah, Wis. Filed May 6, 2003. Patent No. 7,263,997.
• Projectile retrieval system. Kyle Bateman, H. Addison Sovine, both of Provo. Assigned to Action Target Inc. Provo. Filed Feb. 27, 2006, claiming priority to multiple prior patent applications. Patent No. 7,264,246.
• Methods and kits for bleaching teeth while protecting adjacent gingival tissue. Louis J. Malcmacher, Cleveland, Ohio; Dan E. Fischer, Sandy. Assigned to Ultradent Products Inc., South Jordan. Filed May 5, 2004. Patent No. 7,264,471.
• Titanium boride coatings on titanium surfaces and associated methods. Shampa Aich, Lincoln, Neb.; K.S. Ravi Chandran, Salt Lake City. Assigned to University of Utah Research Foundation, Salt Lake City. Filed May 3, 2005. Patent No. 7,264,682.
• Retort heating apparatus and methods. Byron G. Merrell, Vernal; Michael R. Keller, Roger K. Noble, both of Tulsa, Okla. Assigned to Oil-Tech Inc., Morris Plains, N.J. Filed Jan. 29, 2004. Patent No. 7,264,694.
• Continuous ammonium removal systems. Kirk D. Bradley, St. George. Assigned to New Earth Systems Inc., St. George. Filed Aug. 31, 2005, claiming priority to multiple prior patent applications. Patent No. 7,264,732.
• Process for increasing strength, flexibility and fatigue life of metals. David Hughes Horne, Salt Lake City. Filed March 26, 2004, claiming priority to provisional patent Application No. 60/458,270, filed March 28, 2003. Patent No. 7,264,740.
• Morinda citrifolia leaf extract compositions and methods of obtaining the same. Bing-Nan Zhou, Pleasant Grove; Afa Kehaati Palu, Orem; Chen X. Su, West Jordan; Claude Jarakae Jensen, Cedar Hills; Stephen Story, Alpine. Assigned to Tahitian Noni International Inc., Provo. Filed March 8, 2004. Patent No. 7,264,829.
• Lubricious coating for medical devices. James Perrault, Vista, Calif.; Cameron Rouns, South Jordan. Assigned to Kimberly-Clark Worldwide Inc., Neenah, Wis. Filed Nov. 10, 2003, a continuation-in-part of Application No. 10/325,443, filed Dec. 19, 2002. Patent No. 7,264,859.
• Carrier system for specific artery wall gene delivery. Sung Wan Kim, Salt Lake City; Jae-Woon Nah, Suncheon Korea; Lei Yu, Carlsbad, Calif. Assigned to University of Utah Research Foundation, Salt Lake City. Filed Nov. 9, 2001, claiming priority to provisional patent Application No. 60/247,320, filed Nov. 10, 2000. Patent No. 7,264,969.
• Treating a variety of pathological conditions, including spasticity and convulsions, by effecting a modulation of CNS activity with isovaleramide, isovaleric acid, or a related compound. Linda D. Artman, Salt Lake City; Manuel Balandrin, Sandy; Robert L. Smith, Lansdale, Panama. Assigned to NBS Pharmaceuticals Inc., Salt Lake City. Filed Jul. 8, 2003, claiming priority to multiple prior patent applications. Patent No. 7,265,155.
• Substituted phenylsulfur trifluoride and other like fluorinating agents. Yong Xu, Salt Lake City; Teruo Umemoto, Westminster, Colo. Assigned to IM&T Research Inc., Denver, Colo. Filed July 28, 2006. Patent No. 7,265,247.
• Flexible inductive resistivity device. David R. Hall, Paula Turner, Christopher Durrand, Joe Fox, Tyson J. Wilde, all of Provo. Filed Feb. 19, 2007. Patent No. 7,265,649.
• Pipelined architecture implementing recursion processes for forward error correction. Edwin J. Hemphill, Kaysville; Raied N. Mazahreh, Salt Lake City. Assigned to Xilinx Inc., San Jose, Calif. Filed Jan. 29, 2004. Patent No. 7,266,757.• Metal tubing. Stephen F. Nye, Syracuse. Assigned to Performance Design, Clearfield. Filed Feb. 9, 2006. Design Patent No. D550,320.
Karl R. Cannon is a Registered Patent Attorney and a founding shareholder in the Salt Lake area law firm of Clayton, Howarth & Cannon P.C., specialists in patent, trademark and copyright law. He may be contacted at 801-255-5335 or by e-mail at [email protected]. Copies of patents are available by mail for $3 each from U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, Box 9 (Copy Sales), Washington, DC 20231; by credit card via telephone 703-308-9726 or toll free 800-972-6382; facsimile 703-305-8759; or e-mail [email protected]. Patents can also be viewed and printed free of charge from several Internet sites, including www.uspto.gov or www.delphion.com.