PROVO — The BYU women's soccer team battled Montana and the rain Saturday night, staying unbeaten and improving to 8-0-2 after a 2-1 win.

"We're pleased with the win," BYU coach Jennifer Rockwood said. "These are tough conditions out here. I don't think it was one of our best performances of the year."

The Cougars controlled the first half, getting off nine shots, while Montana had just two shots. Forward Becca Riddle had three shots and two on goal in the first 17 minutes.

Riddle's best opportunity came in the ninth minute, when she shot from the right side and beat goalie Grace Harris, only to have the ball bounce off the left post.

Riddle got the start in place of the injured Katie Fellows, who suffered a concussion during a 2-1 win over Washington on Monday.

BYU finally broke through with a goal just before halftime in the 44th minute.

Defender Ashleigh Jameson kicked the ball on the left side to forward Kassidy Christensen, who was facing away from the goal. Christensen jumped straight up and headed the ball high in the air over the outstretched fingers of Harris and into the goal.

"I didn't even jump that high," Christensen said. "I just flicked my head right at the right spot and luckily it dipped down right below the bar. It was a floater."

Forward Katie Larkin was also credited with an assist on the goal.

The Cougars didn't waste any time in the second half, scoring their second goal about 15 seconds into the 46th minute.

Midfielder Carolyn Swenson kicked the ball on the left side, and Larkin won a footrace to the ball, kicking it into the net past Harris, who was coming out to clear the ball.

Montana (2-7) cut the score in half in the 66th minute. The Grizzlies kicked the ball in the center of the field in front of the net. The Cougars tried to clear the ball, but it went straight to midfielder Sarah Campbell, who blasted the ball past a diving Erika Woodbury.

"You don't want to clear the ball up the middle," Rockwood said.

The goal was just the second allowed by BYU all year, and it was the first goal that wasn't on a penalty kick.

The Cougars couldn't score again to put the match out of reach, but they held off some late pressure from Montana to earn the win.