MOAB — In a game delayed for more than two hours by lightning, the Logan Grizzlies defeated the Grand County Red Devils 43-14.

Logan quarterback Jeff Manning threw for three touchdowns and rushed for another as the 3A Grizzlies won the first-ever football game between the two schools.

The Grizzlies saw seven different players score, and managed to avoid punting the entire game. Logan also amassed 20 first downs to Grand's nine, often getting big plays on third or fourth and long.

"We take chances. That's our style," said Logan coach Mike Favero. "It's the first game of the year, and we played a lot of guys."

Favero also downplayed the effect of the weather delay. "It was insignificant," he said just as the game was winding to a close around 11:30 p.m. "I'm happy with how we played. We'll take the win."

After Grand was forced to punt on its first possession, Logan's Josh Thatcher blocked Garrett Sisco's punt, recovering it on the Red Devils' 3-yard line and setting up a 1-yard TD run by Manning three plays later. Josh Thompson kicked the extra point to make it 7-0 for the Grizzlies.

Nearly 2 1/2 hours later, after play had resumed, the Grizzlies got on the board again when they settled for a 22-yard field goal by Thompson with 2 minutes left in the first quarter.

Backup quarterback Devin Peterson took a snap and ran it in for a 2-yard TD early in the second quarter. Manning found receiver Jason Maughan for a 5-yard pass to make it 22-0 at halftime.

Early in second half, the Red Devil offense came to life, with Clay Cowan making 35-yard reception that set up a 10-yard TD catch by Austin Brewer.

But Logan then answered with an 8-yard TD pass on its next possession, with Manning finding Keith Gwynn in the end zone on third and goal.

Red Devil QB Garrett then followed a breakout 50-yard run with a 1-yard TD run on the first play of the fourth quarter, making the score 29-14.

As the long night wore on, the Red Devils still couldn't stop Logan's potent offense. Early in the fourth, Jeff Watts caught a TD pass from Manning on third and 15 to make it 36-14, and KC Taylor added a 2-yard TD in the final minute of the game to account for the final score. A sizable portion of the crowd stayed for the entire game, which lasted four and a half hours, counting the weather delay.