A driver of a van full of children died Sunday in a Murray rollover, and a 17-year-old boy died earlier in the day after police say the car he was riding in was hit by a drunken driver in Ogden.

They were among 10 people killed in Utah crashes in four days.

Troopers believe the family in the van was on its way to church when the crash occurred.

The 35-year-old Midvale woman was the only one among the van's 10 occupants wearing a seat belt, according to the Utah Highway Patrol.

The Ogden crash, which happened just after midnight, left 17-year-old John Edwards dead and another 17-year-old boy in critical condition. Two other teens in the vehicle were injured after a large truck rear-ended their car, which was stopped at a light on 31st Street near the north onramp to I-15. The truck made no attempt to brake or swerve out of the way, said Ogden Police Lt. Scott Conley.

After the truck hit the car, leaving its trunk and rear seat crumpled into the front seat, it continued east, Conley said. Police said the 35-year-old driver, Daniel Rodriguez, then parked near 32nd Street and Grant Avenue and ran into a nearby house.

Later, police were given permission to enter the home, where they found and arrested Rodriguez on suspicion of leaving the scene of an injury accident and charges of automobile homicide and driving under the influence of alcohol. He is being held in the Weber County Jail.

Crashes in Wasatch County killed two late Saturday and wrecks in Iron County and Spanish Fork Canyon also claimed lives. A Huntsville family lost three of its members after a head-on crash in Layton on Thursday.

The driver in Sunday's rollover was identified as Delta Arellano Moreno. Six of the nine children in the van with her were ejected when it rolled.

A 15-year-old girl was taken to Primary Children's Medical Center in critical condition. Three others, ranging in age from 10 to 13, were taken to local hospitals in serious condition after the crash on I-15 near 6000 South. An infant and four other children were hospitalized in fair condition.

Their names will not be released, said Utah Highway Patrol trooper Randal Akers.

I-15 was shut down for about three hours Sunday afternoon to allow a medical helicopter to land and to allow crews to clean up after the accident.

A few minutes before midnight on Saturday, two Utah County residents died on State Route 189 near Wallsburg in Wasatch County after their SUV slid off the road, hit a signpost and rolled, police said.

Martin Gonzalez Sanchez, 24, of Orem, and April Lynn Torres, 15, of Provo, were ejected and pronounced dead at the scene, police said. Neither was wearing a seat belt, officials said.

On Saturday in Spanish Fork Canyon, Alice May Olsen, 65, was killed after her car and a semi-trailer truck collided head on, the Utah Highway Patrol reported.

The West Jordan woman had been weaving in and out of traffic before she hit a produce truck from Texas, according to the Utah Highway Patrol. Authorities believe fatigue was the cause of the 4 p.m. accident.

In Iron County on Saturday, two adults were killed after their truck rolled about 12:15 a.m.

Police believe the woman in the passenger seat, identified as Esparanza Embrosio-Vicente, had just unbuckled to give a bottle to her infant in the rear seat when the truck crashed. She and the driver, identified as Santos Sanic-Lajpop, were ejected and killed.

The infant and a toddler in the rear seat suffered only minor injuries. Police believe all occupants lived in Beryl, Iron County.

Authorities believe the crash occurred after the tread on one of the truck's tires separated.

Utah Highway Patrol troopers were completing investigations of all four incidents on Sunday.

According to statistics released by the Highway Patrol's "Zero Fatalities" campaign, three people died in vehicle accidents over the Independence Day weekend in Utah in 2006. In all of 2006, 267 people were killed, including close to two dozen children.

By the end of May 2007, 129 people had died in traffic accidents, according to the Zero Fatalities Web site. If the upward trend continues, 2007 fatalities will have increased by more than 20 percent by the end of the year.

Seven-year-old Caleb Howard, injured in Thursday's crash in Layton, remained in intensive care in critical condition on Sunday. His 13-year-old sister, Rachel Howard, also hospitalized at Primary Children's Medical Center in Salt Lake City, had improved but had not been released. She took her first walk Sunday, said family spokeswoman Ashley Stolworthy.

The siblings' 11-year-old sister, Esther, died earlier but remained on life support on Sunday so her organs would be eligible for donation.

Stolworthy said the Huntsville family is staying in Salt Lake City while the two children are hospitalized. They have received comments of love and support from communities in Utah and from Texas, where the family once lived, and they have also reported special experiences surrounding their daughter's organ donations.

To contribute to the family, which was not covered by insurance due to the father's self-employment, visit any Wells Fargo branch. Any money not needed by the family will be donated to blood and organ-donation efforts. For updates on the children's condition or to offer consolation to the family, visit benhowardfamily.blogspot.com.

E-mail: rpalmer@desnews.com