Here is a calendar of this week's music and dance performances.
- THE UNIVERSITY OF UTAH Choral Department will perform its annual fall concert tonight in the West Institute, 294 S. University Street, at 7:30 p.m.
Tickets are $6 for adults and $3 for students and will be available at the door.
The program will feature works from Handel, Mendelssohn, Gilbert & Sullivan and Benjamin Britten.
- THE U. DEPARTMENT OF MUSIC and University Bands will present the Wind Symphony, featuring Utah Symphony principal tuba player Lee Hipp, in the Olpin Union Ballroom on the U. Campus on Monday, Sept. 28. The music will begin at 7:30 p.m.
Admission is $5 and $3 for students and senior citizens.
Hipp, formerly the principal tuba player for the San Antonio Symphony and the San Antonio Brass, will be featured performing Edward Gregson's "Tuba Concerto." Hipp is also a contributing editor for "The Tuba Source Book."
- BALLET WEST will take "Swan Lake" to Peery's Egyptian Theatre in Ogden for a run from Sept. 28-30. Curtain is 7 p.m.
Tickets can be purchased at the Dee Events Center ticket office or the Egyptian Theatre box office or by calling 1-800-WSU-TIKS, 1-801-626-8500 or 1-801-399-9214.
"Swan Lake" follows the bond of love between Prince Siegfried and the Swan Princess Odette and how that bond conquers the cunning deceit of sorcerer Von Rothbart and the Black Swan Odile.
- THE BRIGHAM YOUNG UNIVERSITY SINGERS, the Concert Choir, The Women's Chorus and the Men's Chorus will present a choral showcase in the de Jong Concert Hall at the Harris Fine Arts Center on Sept. 29.
The singing will begin at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are $8 for general admission and $5 for BYU faculty and staff. Tickets can be purchased at the Fine Arts Ticket Office by calling (801) 378-4322.
- DUO CLASICO - composed of guitarist Lawrence Green and bassist Gregory Restad - will perform a free concert at the Provo Tabernacle on Tuesday, Sept. 29.
The music will begin at 7 p.m. The concert is part of the Community Music Series.
- SYNCOPATION, the vocal jazz group, will be joined by BYU Legacy Dixieland Band and Synthesis in the de Jong Concert Hall at the Harris Fine Arts Center on the BYU campus Wednesday, Sept. 30. The music will begin at 7:30 p.m.
Tickets are $8 for general admission and $5 for BYU faculty and staff. Tickets can be purchased at the Fine Arts Ticket Office by calling 1-801-378-4322.
On tap for the evening is a concert of Latin, hard bop and fusion grooves.
- WINNERS OF THE BYU CONCERTO COMPETITION will perform with the Y.'s Philharmonic Orchestra in the de Jong Concert Hall at the Harris Fine Arts Center at BYU Thursday, Oct. 1. Curtain is 7:30 p.m. Tickets are available for $8 and $5 for students and faculty at the Fine Arts Ticket Office by calling 1-801-378-4322.
- CHANTICLEER, an all-male choral group based in San Francisco, will perform in the Kent Concert Hall at the Chase Fine Arts Center at Utah State University Thursday, Sept. 30.
The singing will begin at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are available at the USU Spectrum Ticket Office and at the door the evening of the concert. Tickets are also available at the Taggart Student Center information desk. Tickets range from $6-$15.
- THE UTAH STATE FAIR competition organ winners will perform at the Temple Square Assembly Hall Wednesday, Sept. 30. The recital will begin at 7:30 p.m. and admission is free.
- LINDA MARGETTS, one of the Temple Square Organists, will perform a solo concert in the Kent Concert Hall at the Chase Fine Arts Center on the USU campus on Thursday, Oct. 1. The music will begin at 7:30 p.m.
Tickets will be available at the door for $5. USU Students will be admitted for free, but other donations will be accepted. The proceeds from the concert will go to repair and maintenance projects for USU organs.
- THE UTAH OPERA GUILD is sponsoring a luncheon on Friday, Oct. 2, to make way for its 1998-99 season. The event will begin at noon at the Marriott Hotel, 75 S. West Temple.
Cost is $22 per person, and reservations are accepted through Sept. 28 by calling Mardean Peterson at 534-0359.
The luncheon will give diners an Asian feel for the opening performance of Pucini's "Turnadot," that will run at the Capitol Theatre from Oct. 17-25.
Princess Turnadot and her abmassadors (Ping, Pang and Pong) will make an appearance.
Also on tap for the afternoon will be an authentic Chinese boutique and a silent auction for Chinese silk jackets that were deseinged by Utah Opera costume designer Susan Memmott-Allred.
- JAZZ GREATS BILLY TAYLOR AND RAMSEY LEWIS will present a concert at Peery's Egyptian Theater in Ogden on Friday, Oct. 2. The music will begin at 7:30 p.m.
Tickets are available for $15 for general admission and $13 for senior citizens and children at the Dee Events Center ticket office or by calling 626-8500 or 1-800-WSU-TIKS.
In addition to the evening performance, Taylor will give two free lectures and demonstrations Oct. 1 and 2 at the Peery. The demonstration on Oct. 1 will begin at 2 p.m. And the program on Oct. 2 will begin at 11 a.m.
- THE CRAIG LARSON QUARTET will present a vintage American music performance with "Classic Standards" at the Riverton Music Recital Hall, 3142 South Highland Drive, on Friday, Oct. 2. The music will begin at 7:30 p.m. Admission will be $5 at the door.
The quartet - pianist Larson, bassist Matt Larson, drummer Bob Campbell and guitarist Kevin Johansen - will be joined by vocalists Corliss Dale and Jack Woods.
The program will feature music of Richard Rodgers, Jerome Kern, George Gershwin and Cole Porter.
- THE MOUNTAIN WEST CHORALE, Utah Choral Arts Society, Payson City Choir and Lady Keynotes will perform as part of the West Jordan Music Festival that will be held Friday, Oct. 2, at the Copper Hills High School Auditorium, 5445 W. New Bingham Highway.
The event will run from 7-9 p.m. Tickets are $3 per person. For purchases, call Ron Starr at 566-6951.