The Utah Showdown golf tournament may be on life support, but it's still alive - at least for another week or two.
Showdown officials were prepared to hear from the PGA Senior Tour this week that their longtime tournament had been replaced on next year's schedule, perhaps by a new event in Cleveland.Instead, they have been given more time to secure a sponsorship.
Jeff Monday, the Senior Tour vice president for tournament business affairs, said Thursday morning that the Showdown will be given more time to find the necessary sponsors and keep the tournament going.
"They have been working diligently and are optimistic, so we gave them an extension," said Monday from Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla. "If they are successful, we will take it back to the board and show them what the elements are."
The decision came after two days of Senior Tour Policy Board meetings in St. Louis.
The Senior Tour still has open dates July 30-Aug. 1 between tournaments in Minnesota and New York, and the Showdown is hoping to fill those dates.
Showdown tournament director Bryan Naugle, who moved to Park City last fall after working for the Senior Tour more than a decade, has been trying to secure sponsorships for several months. Although he's had several nibbles, he's frustrated that no large companies have come forth to get involved with the tournament.
The Senior Tour is requiring the Utah Showdown to come up with a 4-year, $6 million proposal to keep the tournament in Utah.
Monday indicated that Naugle's connection with the tourney, along with the tournament's longevity, were factors in allowing more time to secure sponsors.
The PGA Senior Tour first came to Utah in 1982 when it was known as the Shootout at the Jeremy Ranch. It came close to leaving more than once in the late 1980s because of similar problems: lack of solid sponsors.