Drew Miller didn't skip town Tuesday. His telephone is still connected, and his address hasn't changed.

After a 30-minute meeting with BYU coach LaVell Edwards, the disgruntled sophomore quarterback was out on the practice field with his teammates Tuesday afternoon."I don't really have much to say," Edwards said. "I talked to him. He's out here to practice. We're going to talk again tomorrow. That's all there is."

Miller continued to decline comment on reports he was considering a transfer. His father, Dave Miller, told the Deseret News earlier Tuesday he was 99 percent certain Drew would leave the Cougars in pursuit of more playing time elsewhere. The final straw, he said, was BYU's 20-10 loss at Washington Saturday.

Miller, who is Washington state's all-time leading high school passer with 9,003 yards and 101 touchdowns, was angry he did not see action against the Huskies. In BYU's first three games this season, Miller has played just once (in the 26-6 win over Arizona State) and completed the only pass he's thrown.

The 6-footer from Lakes High School in Tacoma became the first true freshman quarterback to ever start for Edwards when he guided the Cougars against UTEP last season. Miller, however, never claimed the job permanently. He had a chance to do so this fall but lost a battle with junior Kevin Feterik during camp. Feterik has since gone on to complete just 41 of 83 passes for 517 yards with two touchdowns and two interceptions as the Cougars opened the season 1-2.

Much of the blame, however, has gone to BYU's inexperienced receiving corps. Dropped passes have become commonplace - prompting Edwards and his staff not to give up on Feterik, at least not just yet.

Miller called offensive coordinator Norm Chow Sunday night and was told no change was imminent. That prompted a call by Dave Miller to BYU athletic director Rondo Felhberg Monday asking if the Cougars would prevent Drew for transferring elsewhere. Felhberg reportedly said no.

He and other BYU officials, however, have gone public with pleas to keep Miller in the program. Edwards knows his backup quarterback is an unhappy camper but hopes Miller decides to stick around. He's the kind of player Edwards wants on his team.

"No question," he said. "Always have. My feelings about him have not changed."

The same, however, cannot be said of Miller. He'll decide Wednesday whether or not to remain at BYU. The decision is his, and his alone. Drew's parents, Dave and Sonia Miller, have encouraged him to stick it out at least until the semester break for, if nothing else, academic reasons. The Millers, however, understand their son's frustration and want him to do what's best for his own well-being.

Drew discussed the situation with family and friends during an approved visit home Sunday. He did not fly back to Utah with the team after the game at Husky Stadium because of a previous arrangement to extend his trip back to the Northwest. A bout with kidney stones kept Miller from leaving until Monday evening. He saw his family doctor in Tacoma earlier in the day.

The pain, though, hasn't been as tough as waiting his turn to quarterback the Cougars.

"It's hard. It's real hard. The thing for me is I'm such a competitor I have this burning desire in my mind and in my heart to be out there doing battle with my teammates," Miller said before last week's game in Seattle.

"That's the hardest thing. I can handle not playing. I can handle being the back-up quarterback and having that kind of role."

Miller acknowledged it'll take time to adjust. He's never had to do it before.

"Patience is definitely a virtue," he said. "But it's hard to be patient."