Haroun Fazil likes to wear baseball caps, T-shirts and jeans. He's also worth up to $2 million to anyone who delivers him to U.S. authorities, who say he helped blow up the U.S. Embassy in Kenya.
The reward was announced Thursday as investigators discussed murder charges against Fazil and accused him of playing a major role in the Aug. 7 attack that killed 12 Americans.The fugitive is the third bombing suspect charged publicly in U.S. District Court in Manhattan.
U.S. Attorney Mary Jo White said Fazil, believed to be in his mid-20s, played "a very significant role" in the bombing. The attack in Nairobi and an almost simultaneous one at the U.S. Embassy in Tanzania killed 258 people, including the 12 Americans. Thousands were injured.
The reward was being offered by the State Department, White said.
"We need the help of the public internationally to locate him," said Lewis D. Schiliro, assistant director in charge of the New York FBI office. He said the FBI was looking at several countries where Fazil might have gone, but he did not identify them.
He also indicated that more charges were possible in the investigation that began with the largest deployment overseas by the FBI in its history.
Last May, Fazil rented a Nairobi villa where the embassy bomb was built, White said. She said Fazil, trained in explosives in Afghanistan, also observed the embassy before the bombing and met in the Hilltop Hotel in Nairobi with other members of the Kenyan cell of al Qaida, an international terrorist organization allegedly headed by Islamic militant Osama bin Laden.
The FBI contends that bin Laden directed the bombings as part of a terrorism campaign that seeks to change U.S. foreign policy by killing U.S. civilians and military personnel worldwide.
Fazil, from the Comoros Islands off southern Africa, rented the Nairobi villa from May through August, when a co-conspirator also moved in, White said.
The day of the bombing, Fazil allegedly drove a white pickup truck to lead a bomb-laden vehicle to the embassy.
Arrested last month and brought to the United States were Mohamed Sadeek Odeh, 33, and Mohamed Rashed Daoud Al-'Owhali.
Meanwhile, former President Jimmy Carter has called for an investigation into whether a Sudanese factory destroyed by U.S. missiles last month actually manufactured possible chemical weapons materials.
A technical team should visit Khartoum to inspect the plant and to take samples of soil and building materials, Carter said in a statement Thursday.
U.S. cruise missiles destroyed the factory in retaliation for the embassy bombings.