An ammonia leak at a food company forced the Wednesday night evacuation of 75 employees and sent 14 to area hospitals complaining of respiratory ailments.

Salt Lake City Fire Capt. Devin Villa said McLane Foods at 5850 West Amelia Earhart Drive was evacuated just before 7 p.m. after employees began complaining of shortness of breath, a strong order and other effects of exposure to ammonia, Villa said.Firefighters arrived and shut down the ventilation system after discovering the leak, Villa said.