- NFL football: Chiefs at Jaguars (11 a.m., Ch. 2); Bucs at Packers (11 a.m., Ch. 13); Cowboys at Broncos (2:15 p.m., Ch. 13); Colts at Patriots (6:15 p.m., ESPN)
- U.S. Open Tennis: The women's doubles finals (11 a.m., USA); the men's singles finals (2 p.m., Ch. 2)- Emmy Awards (6 p.m., Ch. 5): NBC devotes four hours to the 50th annual TV awards. (Seen on tape-delay in this time zone.)
- Goodfellas (7 p.m., Ch. 2): Broadcast debut of this 1990 mobster movie. Director Martin Scorsese, who introduces the film, edited it himself for television - but CBS is advising viewer dis-cre-tion.
- Tess of the D'Urbervilles (7 and 11 p.m., A&E): First of a two-part adaptation of Thomas Hardy's novel. (Concludes Monday)
- U.S.-Mexican War (8 and 9 p.m., Ch. 7): First two parts of this very good four-hour documentary that goes into not only how the war was fought but what precipitated it - and its lingering after-effects. (Concludes Monday)
- The Practice (9 p.m., Ch. 4): Jimmy can't believe it when his priest is charged with sexual misconduct. (Repeat)
- The Army Show (8:30 p.m., Ch. 30): Avoid this piece of trash at all costs. (See accompanying fall TV preview for more details.)