Fire engulfed a home where candles were being used as lighting because the electricity was turned off last month, killing two adults and a 4-year-old boy early Friday.

In Falmouth, Va., three young children died in a fire in a townhouse where the electricity had also been turned off.The 1 a.m. fire in California appeared to have been started by a candle burning in a garage area of the two-story home, Riverside County sheriff's Sgt. Mark Lohman said.

Firefighters discovered the bodies of a 39-year-old woman, her 4-year-old son and an 18-year-old male family friend in an upstairs bedroom, Lohman said.

The woman's 15-year-old son was sleeping downstairs when the fire broke out and tried to get the others out. He was treated for smoke inhalation and minor injuries.

Lohman said the home, located about 70 miles east of Los Angeles, had been without electricity since Aug. 20 and neighbors reported the family was using candles.

The Virginia fire killed three school-age siblings - two boys, ages 9 and 12, and a 7-year-old girl - whose bodies were found on an upper floor of their townhouse, which was destroyed, said Fire Marshal Curt Alvis said.