Who knew that getting your shots could lead to so much fun?
For the Kehrer family - parents Kimberlie and Robert, Sierra, 19 months, and McKenzie, 5 years old - staying current on their immunizations is sending them to Disneyland, courtesy of United HealthCare of Utah.During the second quarter of 1998, United HealthCare invited all its members who had children turning 15 months old and were current on all required immunizations, to enter a drawing for a family trip to "the happiest place on earth."
"Our 5-year-old carries the Disneyland brochure around with her all the time," said Kimberlie Kehrer in a news release. "She's going to make sure we don't forget."
The contest was started when United HealthCare realized that immunizations for two-year-olds were far below those for their first year.
The Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices recommends the following vaccinations by age 2:
- Four vaccinations against Diphtheria, Tetanus, and Pertussis (DPT).
- Four vaccinations against Haemophilus influenzae type b.
- Three vaccinations against Polio.
- Three vaccinations against Hepatitis B (HIB).
- One vaccination against Measles, Mumps, and Rubella (MMR).
- One vaccination against Chickenpox.