Michael Hall was awarded a substantial grant from the Pollock-Krasner Foundation in New York. The grant is to be used to assist Hall in his artistic pursuits. Hall is represented by Phillips Gallery in Salt Lake City.
- Colleen K. Howe's pastel "Spring City Pond" was accepted into the Pastel Society of America's 1998 exhibition in New York City. The exhibition will be in the grand gallery of the National Arts Club from Sept. 12-Oct. 4. Howe is president of the Pastel Society of Utah.- Richard A. Miles, of Fruit Heights, Utah, has been selected to the National Park Academy of the Arts' 1998 "Arts for the Parks Top 100" for his painting titled, "Sunset - Clepsydra Geyser," of Yellowstone National Park. The "Arts for the Parks Top 100" paintings will be on exhibit in Grand Teton National Park, Jackson Lake Lodge, beginning Sept. 15 and running through Sept. 19. Afterward, the exhibit will travel around the country.
- The Utah Shakespearean Festival is displaying "The Four Seasons of Utah: Landscapes from the Utah State Fine Arts Collection" and "The Human Parade: the Shakespeare Series," featuring paintings by David G. Baldwin. The exhibit will be in the Randall L. Jones Theatre through Sept. 5.
- Salt Lake Art Center will begin registration for its summer art classes on Tuesday, Aug. 11. The classes will run for 16 weeks, running from Aug. 24-Dec. 11. Photography and ceramics will be taught. For more information call the SLAC at 801-328-4201.
WORKSHOPS AND LECTURES
- The Utah Museum of Fine Arts will conclude its Docent Summer Enrichment Program on Thursday, Aug. 6, 10 a.m.-noon, with "Sharing/Telling/Talking About the Museum's Collection."
- Utah State University is offering a workshop for painters, photographers or multimedia artists. "Alternative Painting Processes: Collage and Assemblage" will be offered on the campus from Aug. 10-14, and registration is now under way. Linda Day, a California-based artist, will be the workshop presenter. This is not a beginning level course, so participants should have a level of expertise in drawing or painting. For registration information call Cami McClure at 435-797-0425 or Conference and Institute Division at USU, 435-797-0037.