FALCON QB HAS APPENDECTOMY: Air Force quarterback Blane Morgan is recovering at his home in Texas after undergoing an emergency appendectomy. He is not expected to miss significant playing time.

Air Force officials said Morgan had the surgery Tuesday night after complaining of stomach pain on Monday.

"Our first thoughts are of Blane and his family and a speedy recovery," Air Force coach Fisher DeBerry said. "We don't expect this to seriously impact our football team. When Blane is ready, we'll put him to work."

DeBerry said Morgan will be able to take part in limited throwing drills when he returns from Carrollton, Texas, on Friday. He will be held out of contact drills for at least 10 days.

Morgan, a senior, helped Air Force to a 10-3 record last year as he ran for 565 yards and six touchdowns and passed for 975 yards and four TDs.

CSU QB HOBBLED: Steve Cutlip, Colorado State's quarterback of the future, is considering using his redshirt year because he is still hobbled by a sprained ankle he suffered June 19.

Cutlip, a freshman from Arvada West High School, worked out during the Rams first practice Wednesday, but said he is not completely recovered from the ankle sprain he suffered during the state all-star game.

"Right now it's pretty painful," Cutlip said. "But I honestly don't think it will be 100 percent until after the season when I get time to get off it and get some rest.

Rams coach Sonny Lubick said he wants to wait a little longer before deciding on Cutlip's playing status.

NEW SUU COACH: Southern Utah University Head Football Coach Ray Gregory announced that Tyler Anderson, former all-Western Athletic Conference athlete at Brigham Young University, has joined the SUU Coaching staff.

"It's great to get Tyler on the staff," Gregory noted. "He's a young coach with a lot of great playing experience who has also worked as a coach with one of the state's top high school programs at Orem. He brings a lot of knowlwdge to our program."

Since graduating in '95 Tyler has played in the Arena Football League for the Minnesota Fighting Pike and the Utah Catzz. As well as holding an assitant coaching position at Orem High School.

Anderson, who earned first-team all-WAC recognition as a return specialist, wil work with the Thunderbird receivers and slot-backs.


PAIR LEAD BUICK: Brandel Chamblee played the Buick Open three times and didn't make a penny. So he quit coming after missing the cut again in 1992.

Now he's back, and it appears his luck has changed.

Chamblee and J.L. Lewis, each seeking his first win on the PGA Tour, shot 7-under-par 65s for a 1-stroke lead over three other golfers in the first round Thursday.

Defending champion Vijay Singh, Dudley Hart and Gary Hallberg shot 66s on the rain-softened course at Warwick Hills Golf & Country Club.


TWO-HEADED DUCK: Pierre Gauthier, hired as president of the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim last month, will also be general manager of the NHL team, it was announced Thursday.

Jack Ferreira, the only general manager the Mighty Ducks have had since joining the NHL as an expansion franchise in 1993, has been offered a new, unspecified position with the organization.

Gauthier, 45, was assistant general manager to Ferreira from 1993-95 before joining the Ottawa Senators as general manager. Gauthier spent 21/2 years in that position before resigning in June and signing a five-year contract with the Mighty Ducks.


HOLYFIELD-BEAN MATCH SET: After local businesses failed to put up the money, Evander Holyfield has agreed to share in the expenses for his mandatory IBF heavyweight title defense against Vaughn Bean Sept. 19 at the Georgia Dome.

Showtime cable network and promoter Don King also will share the expenses in the deal completed Wednesday, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported Thursday.

Bean, of Philadelphia, has a 29-1 record. He is the IBF's No. 1 contender.

Holyfield still is faced with a WBA mandatory defense against Henry Akinwande. He was supposed to fight Akinwande June 6, but the fight was called off after Akinwande tested positive for hepatitis-B.


GEBBIE TO HEAD USTA: Robert L. Gebbie of New York is the new director of administration and chief financial officer of the United States Tennis Association.

Gebbie, who will begin his new post on Aug. 17, had been chief financial and administrative officer of the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum in New York City, a position he had held since 1995. He held a similar position with the American Museum of Natural History from 1991 to 1995.


"MAGIC" SHOW CANCELLED: Earvin "Magic" Johnson's success on the basketball court didn't follow him into television.

The former Los Angeles Lakers star's late-night talk show, "The Magic Hour," was canceled Thursday after two months of low ratings and critical jabs.

The final original episode aired Thursday night. The show's most highly rated show, featuring Howard Stern, one of the series' most venomous critics, was scheduled to air tonight. Other reruns will fill the time slot for the next four weeks.


DANCER AUDITIONS: The Utah Jazz are expecting upwards of 250 participants for Jazz Dancer auditions Saturday at the Delta Center. Auditions are open to the public.

Registration is from 7:30 to 8:30 Saturday morning, with auditions running from 8:30 a.m. until 4 p.m. on the Delta Center basketball floor. Prospective dancers must be high school graduates and at least 18 years old. From Saturday's dance routines, 25 finalists will be chosen to work with the Jazz Dancer choreographer in three sessions next week. Sixteen dancers will make the final cut, to be announced Thursday, and be members of next year's Jazz Dancer squad for next basketball season.


SMITH TO FIGHT BAN: Olympic swimming champion Michelle Smith vowed today to fight her four-year drug-related suspension and said she would sue swimming's international governing body (FINA) for damages.

Smith, winner of three Olympic gold medals, was suspended Thursday after the federation determined she had tampered with her urinalysis.

"It was a blatant attempt to ruin my swimming career," Smith said of the ban.

"I will vindicate my innocence. I don't think you can ever recover completely. I will be seeking substantial damages.

"We now go on to the appeal process which I know will prove my total innocence in all this."

A FINA drug-control panel said Smith was guilty of tampering with an out-of-competition urine sample taken at her home in Kilkenny in January. The panel said that the sample had been spiked with a large quantity of alcohol, probably whiskey.

The suspension would include the Sydney 2000 Olympics and the 2001 World Championships and effectively end the 28-year-old swimmer's career.