Weber State officials met over the past week to determine the fate of the successful Wildcat coach.

Tuesday, Abegglen announced he would leave the Dee Events Center sideline with three years remaining on his contract. His decision allows him to remain coaching the Wildcats one last season before stepping down.

The decision stems from accusations and a restraining order place on Abegglen following an altercation several weeks ago with his wife, Nedra, in the WSU athletic offices. That incident left Nedra Abegglen with a broken wrist and a full-arm cast.

In a short-but-to-the-point statement released by Weber State, Ron Abegglen made his decision known.

"I have been coaching for 38 years - that's two careers for the average coach," Abegglen said. "I'm looking forward to this season and the players that will be involved in our program. At the end of the year, it will be time for me to move in a new direction."

No announcement was made regarding the next Wildcat coach, but one source said current assistant coach Joe Cravens will be given the job when Abegglen vacates the office. Cravens coached at Idaho for two years before joining Abegglen's staff last season. He was also an assistant under Rick Majerus at Utah.

As part of Abegglen's decision to resign following the upcoming season, Weber State will pay the veteran coach $95,000.

"Coach Abegglen and I have reviewed this situation carefully and agree this is best for our men's basketball program and for Weber State University," president Paul H. Thompson said. Thompson is currently on vacation.

The past three weeks have seen the allegations made public and Abegglen place on paid administrative leave. Today, Abegglen was back on the job trying to make his professional life return to some semblance of order.

Abegglen was already on a two-year probation at Weber State for recruiting violations. The school-imposed sanctions in 1996 came as the NCAA was investigating the basketball program.

Abegglen is 127-75 in his seven seasons with the Wildcats.