Vikings hold off impressive St. George rallyThe scene was eerily familiar for St. George: bottom of the seventh, winning run on second base, one out. Saturday, St. George was on the short end of that stick as Brighton singled home the game winner.

Monday, the scenario came full circle, only this time St. George trailed heading into the final at bat at the American Legion Utah State Tournament at Oquirrh Park. Would its bats produce Brighton-type results? It would've if Viewmont shortstop Wes Patterson's wingspan were slightly smaller.With the bases loaded and trailing by one, St. George catcher Tyler Campbell ripped a grounder up the middle that appeared destined for centerfield. Unfortunately for St. George, Patterson dove, smothered the ball, flipped it to second baseman Josh Kennedy who gunned it to first. 6-4-3. Game over. Viewmont 9, St. George 8.

"We turned the double play when we needed it," Mike Carr. "We were probably lucky, because that's a good St. George team. We knew they wouldn't quit."

St. George could've waved its white hankies after Viewmont posted a seven spot in the third inning on just five hits. It didn't though, and some clutch St. George pitching left the door open for a rally.

Dan Wright got the comeback going with a solo shot to left in the fourth. St. George added two more in the fifth, three in the sixth, and two in the seventh to cut the gap to one. That's when the Vikings middle infield started flashing the leather.

The defense may have sealed the win, but Nate Gold's aluminum destroyer should get equal credit. After walking in his three previous at bats, Gold padded the Vikings' comfort zone with a solo bomb in the top of the seventh to put Viewmont up 9-6.

"I just wanted to get on and get some insurance runs for us," Gold said. "We're there. We're already in the tourney."

The win guaranteed Viewmont a spot in the quarterfinals which begin Wednesday. Before that, though, the Vikings have a date with Pool 3's other 2-0 team, Brighton, today at 4:30 p.m.