Longtime Deseret News staffer Harold Guest "Hack" Miller, 83, died July 31, 1998, at LDS Hospital.

Mr. Miller began working as a writer and photographer for the Deseret News in 1934 and wrote a daily column for 44 years.Mr. Miller also covered special events including six Olympic Games and a 15-nation trip by the Utah Symphony. He covered Pres-i-dent Richard Nixon's inauguration and was the first reporter to interview the former

president at his San Clemente home one year after Nixon's resignation from office.

Mr. Miller also made two trips as a war correspondent to Vietnam.

He anchored the first live television sports feature in Utah at KSL Channel 5 and later appeared on KCPX Channel 4.

He was the featured lecturer for a morning series on Russia, Siberia, Vietnam and Morocco, where he was twice invited to be King Hussein's golf guest.

Mr. Miller also covered baseball's World Series, football's top bowl games and major golf tournaments. In 1977, he received the Winter Sports Appreciation Award from the Salt Lake Area Chamber of Commerce for his work promoting the ski industry and was nationally known as the "Dean of Ski Writers."

He retired from the Deseret News at age 70 after working there for 50 years.

Mr. Miller received a law degree from the University of Utah but delayed his practice and also left the Deseret News to serve in World War II. He volunteered as a private, served as the commander of the Port of Embarkation in England and returned as a lieutenant colonel.

Mr. Miller was was a member of the Utah National Guard for 30 years and retired after 12 years as a senior colonel.

Upon his return from the war, Mr. Miller rejoined the newspaper as managing editor, then became sports editor and feature writer.

He also was a sought-after speaker for local clubs and social groups, discussing his early river running days and his work as a reporter.

His freelance reporting included articles published in Reader's Digest, Saturday Evening Post, Golf Digest, Professional Golfers Annual, Field and Stream, Sports Afield, Outdoors and Life Magazine.

A collection of his columns titled "Looking Back with Hack" was published in 1981.

As a youth, Mr. Miller received all-state recognition at Granite High School in football and track and also lettered in baseball and played on the tennis and golf teams.

In high school, he was student body president and won the Moss Honor Medal.

At the University of Utah, Mr. Miller started all four years on the basketball team, was its captain in 1936 and was the unanimous all-conference forward in 1937.

He earned the U. Merit Award, served on the U. Athletic Council and was a member of the Skull and Bones and Owl and Key honorary societies.

Mr. Miller was elected to four halls of fame, including the Utah Old Timers' Athletic, World Basketball and Granite High halls of fame and the Summer Games Hall of Honors. He spent 13 years on basketball's Hall of Fame selection committee and in 1962, he was elected president of the U.S. Basketball Writers Association.

Mr. Miller was the Utah state chairman for the Heisman Memorial Selection Committee for more than 30 years.

Mr. Miller served an LDS mission with his wife, Barbara, at the New York City Visitors Center.

A gathering for friends and family will be held Monday, Aug. 3, from 6 to 8 p.m. at Wasatch Lawn Mortuary, 3401 Highland Drive in Salt Lake City, and on Tuesday prior to services from 10 to 11:45 a.m. at the mortuary chapel. Burial will be in the Salt Lake City Cemetery, Fourth Avenue and N Street.

In lieu of flowers, the family suggests donations to the Harold G. "Hack" Miller Memorial Fund for Biomedical Education and Research at the University of Utah School of Medicine.