A kitchen employee who turned on a gas stove and then forgot to turn it off triggered the evacuation of some 250 guests at the Snowbird Cliff Lodge early Wednesday.

Another employee who entered the kitchen about 5 a.m. smelled the gas, then alerted resort security officers, Snowbird marketing director Larry Jackstein said.Standard procedure at the resort is to evacuate the building as a precaution until it is deemed safe, Jackstein said.

Seven floors of guests in one wing of the resort were wakened and relocated to the Snowbird Center, a tent structure in an adjacent parking lot for several hours while resort and Questar Gas officials located the problem.

About 450 guests were staying at the resort. Guests were returned to their rooms within several hours, Jackstein said.

As it turned out, the problem was nothing more serious than turning a knob to shut off the gas, Jackstein said.