Two men received smoke-inhalation injuries when they checked a burning house because they feared residents were inside.

Nathan Heath, 23, and Andrew Olson, 22, were at a family reunion when they saw smoke coming from a swamp cooler at a house next door, 3759 S. Franklin Road (7465 West).The pair rushed over, opened the garage and the front door to see if anybody was inside, Salt Lake County Fire Capt. Bill Brass said. Nobody was home, but the family's dog ran out of the house when they kicked in the door.

In the process, the men were exposed to the smoke. Paramedics took Heath to Pioneer Valley Hospital for observation and released Olson on the scene. Both men were in good condition, Brass said.

The fire started in the basement about 4:45 p.m. It burned in three rooms and caused at least $20,000 in damage before firefighters doused the flames.