Auditions have been announced for several upcoming theater productions in the region.
- Friday, July 31, for members of a new improvisational comedy troupe, Mission Improvable, being formed by Rodgers Memorial Theatre, 292 E. Pages Lane, Centerville. Eric Jensen, of the Off Broadway Theatre Company's Quick Wits "improv" troupe, will direct this new group.
Experienced actors who are capable of thinking quickly on their feet, who can express their humor in a "family values" setting and who are comfortable performing in a live, improvisational setting, are encouraged to audition.
Auditions will be by appointment only from 10 to 11 p.m. (following RMT's regular performance of "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat"). Those interested should call the theater's box office at 298-1302 between 1 and 6 p.m. weekdays and Saturdays to schedule an audition time. The troupe's performances will be at 10:15 p.m. on Fridays. Auditions will be in the rehearsal hall, directly west of the theater.
- Saturday, Aug. 1, from 9 a.m. until noon for Hale Centre Theatre's regional premiere of Lynn and Helen Root's comedy, "Man With the Pointed Toes," being directed by David Neiman.
Play dates are Oct. 16-Nov. 21 in HCT's new West Valley City complex. Auditions will be at the company's current site, 2801 S. Main, South Salt Lake.
There are roles for six men, 25 to 65, one of whom must speak fluent Spanish, and two women, 25 to 40, one of whom must be able to speak some Spanish. Both must be able to ballroom dance. There will be cold readings from the script and all cast members will be paid.
All auditions are by appointment only. Call 984-9000 to schedule an audition time. Office hours are 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. weekdays and Saturdays.
- Saturday, Aug. 1, from 9 to 10 a.m., for "Dracula, the Vampire," at Desert Star Playhouse, 4861 S. State, Murray.
There are three male roles available for "Dracula," being directed by Edward Gryska, with musical direction by David Len Allen, but the Playhouse will also be selecting both male and female talent for its Christmas production as well as other shows during the 1999 season.
All DSP performers are paid. Au-di-tion-ers must be 18 years of age or older.
Come prepared with a song of your own choice. An accompanist will be provided. There will also be cold readings from the script and a dance combination may be taught (dress appropriately). Performances of "Dracula," running Sept. 24-Nov. 14, will include a short musical revue with a patriotic theme.
Please bring a current resume and photograph, if possible. For further information, call the Playhouse at 266-7600.
- Saturday, Aug. 1, from 9 to 11:30 a.m. at the Terrace Plaza Playhouse, 99 E. 4700 South, Ogden, for "The Little Shop of Horrors," a musical comedy scheduled for Oct. 2-Nov. 23. Melinda Cole Welch is directing.
Come prepared to sing 16 bars of an upbeat Broadway song. There are roles for performers 16 years of age and up. Call 393-0070 for further information.
- Saturday, Aug. 1, from 9 a.m. until noon for West Valley City Arts Council's production of "West Side Story," being presented Sept. 18-22. The auditions will be held at West Valley City Hall, 3600 Constitution Blvd.
Come prepared to sing 16 bars of a Broadway tune and be prepared to dance. An accompanist will be provided. A resume and photograph are recommended, but not necessary.
Jim E. Smith will direct the show, with choreography by Margene B. Conde and music direction by Christine Mickelsen.
All auditioners must be at least 17 years of age or older and have a strong dance/-music background. Call backs will be held at 1 p.m. the same day. For further information, call Smith at 582-4695.
- Tuesday, Aug. 4, from 7 to 9 p.m. at the Bountiful/Davis Arts Center (basement), for Bountiful Community Theatre's musical revue, featuring tunes from several Broadway shots. Merilee Webb is directing. Come prepared to sing 32 bars of music that will showcase your vocal range. An accompanist will be provided. The revue will be staged Sept. 18, 19, 21 and 22 at Bountiful City Hall.
- Tuesday & Wednesday, Aug. 11 & 12, from 7 until 9 p.m. both evenings at the Bountiful/Davis Arts Center for BCT's production of "Arsenic and Old Lace," being directed by Beth Bruner. There will be cold readings from the script. Play dates are Oct. 23, 24, 26, 30 and 31.
Information on auditions must be submitted at least two weeks in advance. Compiled by Ivan M. Lincoln, Deseret News theater editor, 1-801-236-6017. Fax: 1-801-237-2550. Please do not send items via e-mail.