The following Utah business personnel have been promoted, appointed to new positions or received awards.
- Beth Belt, director of conventions for the Salt Lake Convention and Visitors Bureau, has been elected president of the Utah Chapter of Meeting Professionals International.Other officers are Annette Swan, Meetings America, president-elect; Nancy Holman, Nature's Sunshine Products, treasurer; Karen Pena, Convention Services and Technologies; secretary; Phillip Harris, MeetingWare International, immediate past-president; Julie Heiner, Western Leisure, communications director; Diane Utley, Salt Lake Convention and Visitors Bureau, membership director; and Carrie Roberts, Provo Marriott, programs director.
- Dr. George J. Van Komen, an internal medicine physician practicing in Salt Lake City, has been elected to a second three-year term on the board of directors of the Federation of State Medical Boards of the United States.
His affiliation with the federation began when he was appointed to the Ad Hoc Committee on Physician Impairment. He serves on the Physicians Licensing Board for the Utah Department of Commerce and has been chairman of the board since 1991.
- The Utah State Chamber of Commerce has appointed Richard J. Dahlkemper as chair-elect of the organization.
Dahlkemper has recently served as the president of the Ogden/Weber Chamber of Commerce.
The Utah State Chamber hosts two annual events for 65 Utah chambers. Held in the summer and winter, these events give representatives from chambers an opportunity to share success and take part in discussion over timely issues.
- United HealthCare Corp. has named Robert G. Adams chief executive officer of United HealthCare of Utah, the company's Salt Lake-based health plan. The Utah plan serves more than 134,000 people.
Adams most recently served as the executive director of United HealthCare of Oregon. He has led local and national sales activities in both indemnity and managed care products at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Ohio and at MetLife Health Care Network of Arizona. Prior to being named executive director for United HealthCare of Oregon, Adams was director of operations for the plan, with responsibility for provider relations and medical management.
- Darrin Cobler, an Asian trade executive in the Utah Division of Business and Economic Development's International Business Development Office, has been appointed by director Dan Mabey to assist Utah companies in doing business in China.