PROVO — A natural gas leak at the intersection of 300 South and 600 East led to the evacuation of a strip mall and road closures one block in each direction for about an hour Wednesday.

Questar spokesman Darren Shepherd said a contractor hit a two-inch, steel pipe about 11:45 a.m., venting gas into the air.

A windy afternoon helped the gas quickly dissipate, said Tom Augustus, battalion chief for the Provo Fire Department.

"Mother Nature came and helped us," Augustus said. "A breeze came and dissipated the gas until Questar could get it shut off."

The gas line that serves the strip mall was hit in front of AutoZone at 333 S. 600 East. Shepherd said crews were able to repair the line while continuing to fuel the businesses with natural gas from a Questar truck.

"There were no dangerous levels of gas near or in the buildings when we made our checks during the leak," he said.