Auditions have been scheduled for the following productions:
- "War Games" is a new drama by Utah playwright Gerald McDonough about the Irish conflict in Northern Ireland.Directed by Larry West, there are roles for 10 young actors, male or female, ranging in age from 11 througn 17, and one adult female, about 50. Auditions are Monday, May 25 (Memorial Day), from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. in Room 130 of the West Institute Building on the northwest corner of 300 South and 1340 East. There will be some cold readings from the script.
The production, being co-sponsored by the Utah State Office of Education, the Utah Arts Council, the University of Utah Department of Theater and the U. Theater School for Youth, will be performed on June 23 as part of the USOE's Arts Retreat for teachers (Snow College campus, Ephraim) and during July for the teen session of the Theater School for Youth in the Babcock Theatre at the U.
If the cast is available, the drama may also take a limited tour to some Utah schools.
Rehearsals will be after school and on some weekends.
- "The Taming of the Shrew," from 7 to 9 p.m. on May 26 and 27 at the Realms of Inquiry school, 1140 S. 900 East, for the StageRight TheaterCompany production of Shakespeare's classic comedy, being directed by Jansen Davis.
There are nine adult male roles and two adult female roles (the male roles vary in age). This version will be set and costumed in the United States during the late 1920s or early '30s with a Damon Runyonesque feel.
There will also be some additional ensemble positions for both men and women, including miscellaneous roles and cameos to add flavor, and for two production numbers.
Come prepared with a one-minute Shakespearean comic monologue and also be prepared to learn a short dance routine.
Play dates are Aug. 1-29 with rehearsals beginning June 3. All positions at StageRight are voluntary. Call 485-8038.
- "The Wizard of Oz," on Saturday, May 30, from 9 a.m. until noon, at the Rodgers Memorial Theatre rehearsal hall, 292 E. Pages Lane, Centerville.
Doug Vandegrift is directing the Royal Shakespeare Company version of the classic tale. All roles are open and will be double-cast.
Come prepared with 16 bars of an upbeat song. An accompanist will be provided. (Instrumental taped music will also be acceptable.)
Actors 5 feet tall or under are also needed for Munchkins. Children are also welcome to audition.
Play dates will be Aug. 13-Sept. 19.
- Wasatch Theatre Company, based in West Valley City, is looking for individuals interested in directing productions or lending technical assistance for its 1999 season.
Applications, which are due by July 31, may be obtained by calling 973-2051.
- "HMS Pinafore," being produced by the La Bel Opera company, is conducting open auditions. All interested singers may call 264-2614 (Salt Lake County and south) or 774-0105 (Davis County area and north) for details regarding auditions.
Performances will be June 18-22 in the Murray Park Amphitheater.
- "Star Spangled Girl," from 7 to 9 p.m., May 26 and 28 at the Heritage Community Theatre, 2505 S. Highway 89, Perry.
Directed by Caren Jones, the Neil Simon comedy requires one woman, 20 to 25 years of age, and two men, from 20 to 30 years of age. Auditioners should be familiar with the script. Play dates will be July 24-Aug. 8. For further information, call 393-9875.
- "This Castle Needs A Good Cleaning," local playwright Omar Hansen's parody loosely based on "Cinderella," from 3 to 6 p.m. on May 29 and 9 to 11 a.m. on May 30 at the Lighthouse Theatre, 4991 Highland Drive (southeast of J.C. Penney's in the Cottonwood Mall). Performances begin Aug. 5 and continue through the month.
- "The Broadway Musical Revue," being performed June 27 only, as part of the annual Taylorsville Dayzz, is scheduling auditions on an appointment-only basis through May 29. To schedule an audition time, call Bruce at 293-9038. All singers are invited to participate.