Riot police fired rubber bullets as night fell Tuesday to break up an anti-government student rally where protesters earlier burned pictures of President Suharto painted with a Hitler mustache.

Workers and students called for an end to Suharto's 32-year rule, and renewed protests were reported in Indonesia's second city of Surabaya in East Java and the Central Java city of Yogyakarta.Witnesses said police fired rubber bullets and charged students at Jakarta's prestigious Trisakti University after the demonstrators attacked a plain-clothes man said by some students to be an intelligence agent.

The witnesses said the students then attacked the police, who responded with tear gas, rubber bullets and a baton charge. One person was seen lying on the ground.

Shell cases from automatic rifles littered the ground, but it was not clear whether any live ammunition had been used. Military sources have said police and troops had been ordered not to use live ammunition in controlling student demonstrations.

Earlier, some 5,000 students had rallied at the university to demand political reform. Around 1,000 tried to march on parliament but were blocked by troops with armored cars.

In the city center, members of an unofficial Indonesian trade union marched on the offices of the International Monetary Fund, urging it to hold back bailout payments for Indonesia's crippled economy until the government gave way to reform demands.

Nearly 100 workers, some wearing the uniform of city bus drivers, converged on the central bank building housing the IMF's local offices in Jakarta. Two representatives of the Indonesian Labor Welfare Union (SBSI) met senior IMF officials.

Riot police were quickly on the scene, but the protesters dispersed peacefully after chanting slogans.

Reports of kidnappings and torture continued to surface, with a human rights activist who was kidnapped and then released after two months telling a Jakarta news conference he was tortured during his detention.

"I was put into a cell in an area which housed five other cells," said Desmond Mahesa, who is also a lawyer.

He described one three-hour torture session. "During that time, I was kicked and beaten on my head, back, hands and leg. I was also subjected to electric shocks," Mahesa said.

Some human rights activists have accused the army of being behind alleged "disappearances" but the military has denied involvement and ordered investigation.

Elsewhere in the huge archipelago, riot police in the West Java city of Bandung stopped 2,000 students and local residents from leaving the Bandung Institute of Technology campus.

Student sources said more than 15 protesters were hurt when police pushed them back through the campus gates.

Students have been protesting for three months to demand political reform. The demonstrations claimed their first lives in recent days, with two deaths reported since Friday, including a policeman who died after being hit on the head by a rock.

Suharto, 76, was in Cairo for a summit of 16 emerging nations. He told the summit Indonesia faced "painful sacrifices" to recover from an economic crisis he said had largely destroyed three decades of national progress.

Suharto has said preparations for political reform could begin immediately, but implementation of most of them would have to wait until the end of his seventh five-year term in 2003.