Clearfield will get three more police officers with the help of a $225,000 grant from the Office of Community Oriented Policing Services (COPS).

The grant was announced by Vice President Al Gore and the COPS program in Washington recently. COPS is the Clinton administration's initiative to add 100,000 community police officers.Clearfield's grant is part of $37 million that will help agencies in 39 states hire 640 new police officers.

Under COPS' Universal Hiring Program, state or local agencies pay 25 percent of each officer's cost and the grants pay the remaining 75 percent.