Two brothers were found dead of apparent carbon monoxide poisoning Wednesday.

The brothers, ages 31 and 39, whose names were not released pending family notification, moved into a rented house Monday and had not been seen since, said West Jordan Police Lt. Dave Eyre. The landlord, who lives in a separate house on the same property, went to check on his tenants Wednesday afternoon and found the men dead.Police responded to the house, 2101 W. 8660 South, and found one of the men lying in a hall and the other in bed. The cause of the deaths appears to be a faulty furnace in the basement of the house, Eyre said.

"There's nothing suspicious," Eyre said. "They moved in Monday and it looks like they died Monday night."

Apparently, the brothers were in bed when one of them realized something was wrong and tried to leave the house, Eyre said. The other apparently went to sleep and never woke up.

Authorities advise that all furnaces be checked, cleaned and serviced before they are turned on, especially when they have not been used for some time.