BYU basketball star Ron Selleaze is appealing a possible year-long suspension in hopes he will be able to continue his career as a Cougar.

Last week, the Honor Code Office recommended that Selleaze be suspended for the 1998-99 academic year for Honor Code violations. If the appeal fails, Selleaze's brief, 22-game career at BYU will come to an end.On the other hand, the school, upon review, could lessen the suspension. A decision is expected to be made sometime within the next one to three weeks, said BYU spokeswoman Carri Jenkins.

"The Honor Code Office has only recommended the suspension," said Jenkins. "It is being reviewed to make sure the process was complete and took place in a correct manner. No final decision has been made."

Selleaze and teammate Mike Garrett were cited with marijuana possession after Provo police responded to a noise disturbance at the players' apartment March 16.

Selleaze was later charged with illegal drug possession and is scheduled to appear in court April 15. Garrett was not charged. Coach Steve Cleveland suspended both players indefinitely from the team after the alleged incident. Selleaze and Garrett remain enrolled in school this semester.

Selleaze, a junior, was named the team's MVP after averaging nearly 17 points a game and helping lead the Cougars to a berth in the WAC Tournament. Should the suspension hold up, Selleaze would have to transfer to a Division II level school or lower in order to resume playing college basketball because he has already exhausted his redshirt season. If the suspension is mitigated, Selleaze could be required to forgo only one semester and be able to rejoin the Cougars in December.

Garrett, who attended BYU but did not play this past season, is a sophomore. His case is still being examined by the school. If he, like Selleaze, is suspended for the 1998-99 season, he would likely opt to transfer elsewhere. Garrett will have two years of eligibility remaining if he transfers to another Division I program.