A fire in the girls restroom near the Brighton High School gymnasium forced the evacuation of the school's 2,400 students Friday morning.

School officials evacuated the school, 2220 E. Brighton Blvd. (7600 South), after the fire alarm went off at 9:30 a.m, Jordan School District spokeswoman Melinda Rock said. A soap dispenser was deliberately set on fire, sending smoke and fumes into the gymnasium, said Salt Lake County fire spokesman Jay Ziolkowski.Firefighters responding to the scene said the fire was small and had almost gone out on its own by the time they arrived at 9:45 a.m.